3 way and 2 lights

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

3 way and 2 lights

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
3 way and 2 lights
3 way and 2 lights
2022-01-17 16:55:49
Model: HS210  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I've replaced a few of my 3 way switches with HS210. They work well, except in one case, I have 2 3-way switches controlling 2 lights. When HS210 installed, lights start blinking, if switch is pressed, lights are blinking and switch is clicking. When old switch is back everything works as intended. 

Wiring in boxes seems similar to once with one light (one box with red/black/white wires in one casing, the other box has red/black/white and black white wire) but what is neutral in other boxes (white twisted together with white) that one is white twisted with black.

Is it possible to make this setup work?

Thank you

Options
2 Reply
Re:3 way and 2 lights
2022-01-17 18:08:56 - last edited 2022-01-17 18:10:11

tmel wrote

I the other box has red/black/white and black white wire) but what is neutral in other boxes (white twisted together with white) that one is white twisted with black.

@tmel If a white is connected to a black wire, it is almost certainly not a Neutral, but a Traveler.

Any white wire that is connected to the actual switch MUST be a Traveler and NOT an actual Neutral - in a Light Switch box, Neutrals are never connected to a switch (other than the Neutral connector on a Smart Switch).

So it appears from your decription you possibly have a mistaken white wire identication. 

A good way to identify if a white wire is a traveler or a true neutral is to follow back to where it breaks out of the Romex - a three conductor wire that is black, red and white will have that white conductor be a Traveler; whereas a 2-conductor wire that is just black and white would be either the line in or the load out (depending on which box) plus the neutral for each

Options
Re:3 way and 2 lights
2022-01-17 18:56:12

@DEcosse and @tmel 

To be very honest support representives are not electricians so in depth questions are best suited for an electrical professional.  @DEcosse has provide very valuable feedback here and on other post so I would probably defer to his expertise.  I would also be intrested if DEcosse could provide greater details in his explanation. 

In simple terms the information we have is that Traveller wires are typically black or red.  Line(live) and load wires are black.  Ground are exposed copper or Green and Neutral are white.  You explained there is a white wire twisted with black wires and a group of white wires.  Based on what i menitoned above the group of white wires is likely the neutral.  

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 338

Replies: 2

Related Articles