Direct wired connection through m9??

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-04-26 00:45:00
Model: Deco M9 Plus  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi,

Apologies, but can't find/don't understand an answer to my question on the forums.

I am in the midst of an initial time machine backup to a WD mycloud drive over my network in order to take my wife's laptop to have the screen replaced. It is taking an age (over 24hrs and roughly 30% done) admittedly I haven't done an initial back up for a loooooong time, but I am sure it was quicker before! Unfortunately she didn't think to connect directly when starting the back up.

The mycloud is plugged into an ethernet port on an M9 plus, and I am reluctant to unplug it to connect direct to the laptop in case it ends the back up process and I have to start again. If it does this for no discernable improvement in speed of back up I would worry I might throw the whole thing out the window!

Can I connect the laptop to the other ethernet port on the same deco to effectively have a wired connection, or will the data still pass through wireless network to the main 'router' m9 to be redirected back to the mycloud?

Apologies for remedial question, am a complete networking dunce. 

Thanks for any clarity anyone can provide.

Options
1 Reply
Re:Direct wired connection through m9??
2022-04-26 06:05:00

@Octaf1sh 

You can connect both WD cloud drive and laptop via Ethernet ports to the same Deco.

The data transfer will be through Ethernet connection within Deco.

You could test on two other wired clients via same Deco first to make sure everything is expected.

Options