XBOX games can’t connect to their servers

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-06-02 18:45:45 - last edited 2022-06-10 20:31:26
Model: Archer AX73  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version:

I've been dealing with this problem for almost an entire year now. But for some reason, the games on my XBOX can't connect to the Internet. The XBOX itself connects fine as I can download games just fine and do everything else but actually play games online or use the online experiences within games. 

I've tried every possible solution off of Google (DMZ, port forwarding, DNS changes, the whole shebang) and I've even had my XBOX replaced as a last resort a few months ago. My Internet provider sent a technician out yesterday who also tried several solutions including hard wiring the XBOX to the router but nothing worked.

I'm convinced now this is a router issue. My XBOX works flawlessly on my phone's mobile hotspot, and it also worked fine on the technician's router that he had with him and plugged in for troubleshooting. TP-Link's customer service has been useless and has even hung up on me a few times instead of actually providing some technical support. 

I love this router, but I can't overlook the fact that because of it, I now have a $900 paperweight (XBOX price + 2 year GamePass subscription) as it's honestly shocking how many games rely on server connections to be enjoyable or even just playable.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:XBOX games can’t connect to their servers-Solution
2022-06-03 21:08:57 - last edited 2022-06-10 20:31:26

Hey @murmur17,

I found that your case has been forwarded to our system engineers and is waiting in queue to be responded to. Until then, I can try to help with the issue:

I'm sorry to hear that you haven't been able to play some of your games. I actually had an Xbox for many years and would work to get it working on whatever network I was given. It does sound like it is related to port forwarding rules due to the fact that your device is able to connect to the internet, but only certain features are disabled. One of the biggest issues that I had when connecting my Xbox to the network at both my college and apartment, was the fact that I would receive a Strict or Moderate NAT rating. This would often mean that, while I could still play games, I would not have access to any voice chat features.

Are there any other features that seem to not work correctly on your Xbox? (Voice Chat, Skype, Friends List, Netflix)

Can you ensure that you have an Open NAT setting from within your Xbox Settings?

Have you attempted to play a game that needs a server connection while connected to a VPN?

Is this an intermittent issue that could maybe be caused by another Xbox User on the wider network?

I would highly recommend plugging your Xbox into the modem or ethernet wall jack behind your router to determine if the connectivity issues persist. If the issues resolve themselves, we can wait for the response from the System Engineers, or we can research additional settings that could be the culprit.

Most game consoles use UPnP to automatically configure ports and network settings, so the user does not have to. Unfortunately, this means that manually setting the port forwarding rules may not affect the console traffic if the setting is actively being used. Lastly, these are the ports that are often used by Game Servers for the Xbox One: f340c8c3a4bb4e109ca6d9d6cbf01b86

Recommended Solution
Options
4 Reply
Re:XBOX games can’t connect to their servers-Solution
2022-06-03 21:08:57 - last edited 2022-06-10 20:31:26

Hey @murmur17,

I found that your case has been forwarded to our system engineers and is waiting in queue to be responded to. Until then, I can try to help with the issue:

I'm sorry to hear that you haven't been able to play some of your games. I actually had an Xbox for many years and would work to get it working on whatever network I was given. It does sound like it is related to port forwarding rules due to the fact that your device is able to connect to the internet, but only certain features are disabled. One of the biggest issues that I had when connecting my Xbox to the network at both my college and apartment, was the fact that I would receive a Strict or Moderate NAT rating. This would often mean that, while I could still play games, I would not have access to any voice chat features.

Are there any other features that seem to not work correctly on your Xbox? (Voice Chat, Skype, Friends List, Netflix)

Can you ensure that you have an Open NAT setting from within your Xbox Settings?

Have you attempted to play a game that needs a server connection while connected to a VPN?

Is this an intermittent issue that could maybe be caused by another Xbox User on the wider network?

I would highly recommend plugging your Xbox into the modem or ethernet wall jack behind your router to determine if the connectivity issues persist. If the issues resolve themselves, we can wait for the response from the System Engineers, or we can research additional settings that could be the culprit.

Most game consoles use UPnP to automatically configure ports and network settings, so the user does not have to. Unfortunately, this means that manually setting the port forwarding rules may not affect the console traffic if the setting is actively being used. Lastly, these are the ports that are often used by Game Servers for the Xbox One: f340c8c3a4bb4e109ca6d9d6cbf01b86

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:XBOX games can’t connect to their servers
2022-06-03 21:16:54

Hi @Riley_S,

My XBOX says "Open NAT" and I've also ran the NAT test on it multiple times and it tells me it's open every time. I don't use any other apps or features on my XBOX besides gaming (I have smart TVs and lots of other connected devices in my household). I don't know how to set up a VPN that my XBOX could use. Also I live by myself so only my devices are on my WiFi network (and I only have one XBOX).

The technician from my Internet provider tried connecting the XBOX via Ethernet to the router, we encountered the same issue. The only thing that has worked was using different networks (whether it's a different router or my phone's mobile hotspot). I have tried doing the Port Forwading fix before as I found it during my troubleshooting on Google, but that didn't work either. The issue honestly has me and my Internet provider completely stumped.

Options
2022-06-04 04:33:27 - last edited 2022-06-04 04:33:50

@murmur17 The newer TP-Link routers for some reason do not recognize XBOX Consoles to enable UPNP properly.  Not just relegated to the newer consoles, I had all kinds of problem with a XBOX One X and a XBOX 360.  My solution ended up being to sell my TPLink AX1500 and buy a different router.

Options
2022-06-04 04:53:34

@VonCletus Oh wow...wish I knew that before I purchased this router several months ago. I honestly would've never have gotten it as my Internet Provider recommends and supports Eero Pro 6's. How difficult was it to sell your TP-Link router? Don't think that I'll ever purchase another one after this debacle.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1264

Replies: 4

Related Articles