Smart actions and scenes not working.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-06-07 12:17:27 - last edited 2022-06-17 01:00:16
Model: Kasa KL125  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: Updated

For some reason, when I set up a scene and then add it to a smart action, it just doesn't work. It never activates. Everything is updated, my time zone is correct both on my phone and in the app. When I set a schedule to an individual bulb or outlet then it will work, but that's incredibly annoying to have to change 8 things on days when my schedule varies rather than just turning off a smart action. I've tried removing and re-adding every individual device, no dice. I cannot figure out why it won't work. 

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Smart actions and scenes not working. -Solution
2022-06-11 00:12:18 - last edited 2022-06-17 01:00:16

@Riley_S,

I also just started drafting a Knowledge Base Article about troubleshooting this problem, I figured I could give you a sneak peek of the draft.

""

If Smart Actions are not Working Properly there are a few steps that you can take to try and fix your issues.

If the Smart Action was working previously, it likely means that the device has gone offline and is not communicating with the Kasa Cloud Systems. Check to see if your smart devices are connected to your phone locally or via the cloud on your phone.

1. Please change your phone over to mobile data or LTE by disabling Wi-Fi on your phone.
  2. Can you control and access the device?
    1. If not, the device is not using the internet to control your device, this is a requirement for Smart Actions to work.
  3. Please Reboot any Smart Devices that are controlled by Smart Action. Even if your devices are connected to the cloud, I would still recommend rebooting any devices

Please ensure that the time settings are correct for your smart device in the Kasa Application

""

There will be additional steps that can be taken so i will let you know when I post the article

Recommended Solution
Options
4 Reply
Re:Smart actions and scenes not working.
2022-06-07 16:22:08

@Romanticheart,

One thing that I would recommend looking into if it fits your case, is putting the lights into a group so that they can be controlled together. This will put the control for the devices in a panel that will show up on the home screen, allowing for easy access to controls for all devices. 

Otherwise, does the scene still trigger all of the devices when simply starting the scene manually?

If the scene is made up of different device combinations, does the scene still fail to start on manual triggering?

Have you been able to get other scenes to work on your accont? Try setting up a very simple scene, with one device, to see if there is a potential hiccup with the communication in your network.

Options
2022-06-07 21:59:29

@Riley_S Hello, thanks for your reply! Unfortunately it doesn't look like groups will help because I need to be able to set the brightness differently for each light. 

Both scenes do trigger all lights properly when I manually activate it. The two scenes I'm trying to have scheduled via smart actions are all the same devices set to the same things, just at different times. Neither of them activate at the time set in the smart actions though. 

I just tried making a new scene with only one light and set a smart action for a few minutes later. It did not activate the light, so it appears smart actions are just not working on my account for some reason. 

Options
2022-06-08 19:08:32

@Romanticheart,

I would recommend going through all of your device's settings and ensuring that the correct time is set and that they are up to date. The most common issue with devices not acting on automations is the fact that the time in the device may have become unsynced from the local time. I would then check to ensure that the firmware for all devices is up to date. If everything looks correct, I would recommend factory resetting the device and seeing if the issue persists.

Options
Re:Smart actions and scenes not working. -Solution
2022-06-11 00:12:18 - last edited 2022-06-17 01:00:16

@Riley_S,

I also just started drafting a Knowledge Base Article about troubleshooting this problem, I figured I could give you a sneak peek of the draft.

""

If Smart Actions are not Working Properly there are a few steps that you can take to try and fix your issues.

If the Smart Action was working previously, it likely means that the device has gone offline and is not communicating with the Kasa Cloud Systems. Check to see if your smart devices are connected to your phone locally or via the cloud on your phone.

1. Please change your phone over to mobile data or LTE by disabling Wi-Fi on your phone.
  2. Can you control and access the device?
    1. If not, the device is not using the internet to control your device, this is a requirement for Smart Actions to work.
  3. Please Reboot any Smart Devices that are controlled by Smart Action. Even if your devices are connected to the cloud, I would still recommend rebooting any devices

Please ensure that the time settings are correct for your smart device in the Kasa Application

""

There will be additional steps that can be taken so i will let you know when I post the article

Recommended Solution
Options