Which Kasa switch?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Which Kasa switch?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Which Kasa switch?
Which Kasa switch?
2022-06-14 00:24:55 - last edited 2022-06-14 01:11:44

Which switch would I need for this wiring set up? There is no connected neutral wires in the back just the one that comes directly to the switch itself. So there is one black one white one ground and one red traveler. Thank you in advance for your help!82d8a3be16db41cf8cc38c36401442c8

Options
5 Reply
Re:Which Kasa switch?
2022-06-14 16:44:05

@Cchap778 

For this switch, what type of switch is the original?  Is it a single-pole, 3-way, fan control?  That will help us determine if the red wire is a traveller or if its a live or load wire that is a different color.  

Options
2022-06-14 16:49:58

@Carl 

thank you for the reply. I've attached a picture of the switch I removed. The black screw of course had the black wire, the brass screw above that had the red wire and the screw on the other side at the top was white. Of course the ground is on the top. Thanks again. 

Options
2022-06-15 00:55:02

@Cchap778 

Hi Chap.  Yes, i saw that, but I wanted to make sure the type of switch it was to verify the wiring. For instance does this Switch control a ceiling fan?  Does it control lights by itself or does it control lights with a paired switch?

Options
2022-06-15 01:19:52

@Carl 

it is a 3 way switch and controls 3 exterior wall lights. I tried to install the HS210. I already installed one hs200 for some other exterior lights and it was easy. What am I missing or doing wrong?  Thanks again. 

Options
2022-06-15 16:11:28

@Cchap778 

Okay so with the HS210 there are 2-ways to install it.  

One method is to install an HS210 on both sides of the 3-way run.  This video shows how to do this:

<iframe width="468" height="444" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ENQGH-uYk34" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The other method is to install one HS210 with a manual switch.  If you install the HS210 with a manual switch on the other side you do want to make sure the HS210 is on the line/powered side and not the load side.  This is because the HS210 needs to have constant power to power the wireless module.  If the HS210 is installed on the load side then the manual switch will need to stay in a static "On" position.  This does not mean the lights won't be able to go off only that you have to use the HS210's manual paddle or the app/voice control.   The black screw on the old switch was for the line/load wire.  The other 2 screws are for the traveler wires. The black wire should be the line/load wire.  but you can test that by capping all the wires and turning the power on.  Then use a contactless voltage meter to see which wire has power.  The screw that was immediately above the switch on the bracket on the right looks like that is where the ground wire would connect but I confirm with an electrician unless you remember where the ground was connected on the old switch.  The concern I have is that there should be two traveler wires, per the knowledge we have.  The white wire could be a traveler but it could also be the neutral wire.   I know the HS210 cannot be used if a neutral wire is not present but I am not certain if only one traveler I am inquiring about that and will let you know. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 232

Replies: 5

Related Articles