Energy Monitoring devices

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-08-18 03:02:41 - last edited 2022-08-18 18:00:04
Model: KP125  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.8

Currently, I have a KP125 that I was testing to see how it works before committing to more for my home.  But now that I am seeing the value and considering how to deploy elsewhere in the home. I have a few questions and wonders???

• First, has anyone ever gotten 2 of these (or their peer, the EP25) and then placed a multi-plug on top of them?

If you have, does the Monitoring reflect differently for each plug or balance for the 2?

• Second, what other devices in the tp-link KASA line have the Energy Monitoring capability besides these? 

I am sure I will have other questions as I research more.

Thanks

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Energy Monitoring devices-Solution
2022-08-18 18:00:00 - last edited 2022-08-18 18:00:04

HS110HS110HS110  @Andhanni,

We actually offer a Smart Power Strip with multiple plugs that offer energy monitoring for connected devices.

The way that the monitoring works for the plugs, is that it measures the current passing through the device itself. Therefore, an energy reading from the plug will be a summation of the power being delivered to any devices connected to the plug. This means that you could theoretically put a power strip(if it doesn't trigger the surge protect) or splitter on the end of the smart plug to control a series of devices. 

If you are using a third-party integration to monitor and store the energy monitoring data, it is possible to determine what device is currently on based on how much power the device tends to draw when active, however, this is not always accurate and can be difficult to set up. 

I currently have an EP25 connected to a three-way splitter that controls my old-fashioned ceiling fan, my ambient lighting, and my overhead lights; that way they can all be controlled(on/off) via one switch in the app.

You can see the rest of our Smart Plugs from Kasa here: Kasa Smart Plugs

On this page, the device name includes energy monitoring as a feature. However, some plugs offer the functionality, but you have to navigate to the product page to tell.

From going through the product pages, the products that we offer that have the energy monitoring feature are:

Kasa Smart Plugs: EP25, KP125, KP115, HS110

Kasa Smart Power Strip: HS300

Recommended Solution
Options
3 Reply
Re:Energy Monitoring devices-Solution
2022-08-18 18:00:00 - last edited 2022-08-18 18:00:04

HS110HS110HS110  @Andhanni,

We actually offer a Smart Power Strip with multiple plugs that offer energy monitoring for connected devices.

The way that the monitoring works for the plugs, is that it measures the current passing through the device itself. Therefore, an energy reading from the plug will be a summation of the power being delivered to any devices connected to the plug. This means that you could theoretically put a power strip(if it doesn't trigger the surge protect) or splitter on the end of the smart plug to control a series of devices. 

If you are using a third-party integration to monitor and store the energy monitoring data, it is possible to determine what device is currently on based on how much power the device tends to draw when active, however, this is not always accurate and can be difficult to set up. 

I currently have an EP25 connected to a three-way splitter that controls my old-fashioned ceiling fan, my ambient lighting, and my overhead lights; that way they can all be controlled(on/off) via one switch in the app.

You can see the rest of our Smart Plugs from Kasa here: Kasa Smart Plugs

On this page, the device name includes energy monitoring as a feature. However, some plugs offer the functionality, but you have to navigate to the product page to tell.

From going through the product pages, the products that we offer that have the energy monitoring feature are:

Kasa Smart Plugs: EP25, KP125, KP115, HS110

Kasa Smart Power Strip: HS300

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Energy Monitoring devices
2022-08-19 13:22:57

@Riley_S 

Thanks for the response, but unfortunately was hoping for items I could get my electrician to integrate and replace outlets with.  Adding adapters on outlets is not ideal honestly.  Will keep looking...

Options
Re:Energy Monitoring devices
2022-08-19 16:34:18

@Andhanni,

Just from my own research, replacing outlets with ones that have energy monitoring are somewhat difficult to find. I resorted to using smart outlets that would work well with my existing systems, and just monitoring my power via outlets for individual devices, and a power monitor on my circuit breakers 

Options