Multiple “device unreachable” errors on app startup

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-08-29 10:06:47

Unfortunately, several of the other threads with similar issues have been closed with no resolution. I have 7 Kasa smart plugs. When I get up in the morning or randomly through the day open the Kasa app, three or four of the devices are dithered out with the dreaded "Device unreachable" error. I have to wait 5 to 15 minutes until all the devices connect. As mentioned previously, this nullifies much of the usefulness of having a smart device. The only recommendation I've seen was to unplug/re-plug the device. I have done that, multiple times, with no improvement. What know?

Options
4 Reply
Re:Multiple “device unreachable” errors on app startup
2022-08-29 18:17:53

Hey  @Svsjr,

What do you mean, you have to wait for the devices to reconnect? Is this only for them to appear as active in the kasa application? The devices should maintain a connection to the cloud so that smart actions can be activated without the app open.  Are you able to control the smart devices when not connected to the network? Do your smart actions currently work?

I would try to perform a Soft Reset on the Plugs, by holding the button for 5 seconds, instead of the full 10 seconds for a factory reset. A soft reset will keep the configuration settings, but will make reset the network settings on the device.

I do not know if this is a possible fix, but you may want to try and assign your smart plugs a static IP address on your home network's router, so that the devices have a more consistent connection into the network.

Options
2022-08-29 18:42:31

@Riley_S 

"What do you mean, you have to wait for the devices to reconnect? Is this only for them to appear as active in the kasa application?"

Well, to give you an example, this morning I exited the hallway outside my bedroom which is supposed to be illuminated at that hour based on the schedule I set up for my smart plug. It was dark. I sat down at the top of my stairs and checked my app and all my Kasa smart plugs were dithered out, gray. When I clicked on each one it gave me the device not connected message. I waited a few minutes and nothing changed so I went on about my business. When I got to work, in the parking lot I opened the app again and they were all there, on or off per their schedules, and accessible. When the app is working the schedules and smart actions that I have set appear to be working as well (whether  I'm connected to my home network or not), unfortunately there are times when I open the app and have to wait a fair amount of time to access the devices.  
thank you, I will try the soft reset option although this feels more like an app issue than an individual smart plug problem.

Options
2022-08-30 23:39:52

@Svsj,

Hmm, Im wondering if they are in fact online but your phone is identifying them as offline. When this happens again, try again with your home wi-fi off to see if they are still grayed out. Or look at the devices on another device.

Otherwise, I would honestly maybe look at some of your router settings as it seems strange that the devices would reconnect to the network without any intervention

Options
2022-08-31 15:18:45

@Svsjr I am also having this exact same issue. Have tried everything from hard resetting my plugs/lights to designating them static IP addresses. Seems like this might be an issue on TP Link's side

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 543

Replies: 4