Kasa Smart Scenes & Smart Actions have stopped working since Kasa Smart update to v3.0.0 (iOS)

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Kasa Smart Scenes & Smart Actions have stopped working since Kasa Smart update to v3.0.0 (iOS)

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-09-29 07:03:55 - last edited 2022-10-14 01:30:58

After Kasa Smart app was updated in the Apple App store to v3.0.0, all Scenes and Smart Actions have stopped working. Note that all devices (smart bulbs, smart plugs, cameras) can still be controlled (switch ON/OFF etc.). When you select any Scene, the message "Network is unstable. Please try again later." appears after a few seconds.

As I mentioned before this happened immediately after the update to v3.0.0. Everything was working fine in my home for years with Kasa.This happens both from my iPhone (running iOS 16.0.2) as well as my iPad Pro (running iPadOS 15.7).  Please advise!

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Kasa Smart Scenes & Smart Actions have stopped working since Kasa Smart update to v3.0.0 (iOS)-Solution
2022-10-06 12:03:53 - last edited 2022-10-14 01:30:58
** BREAKING NEWS ** [Pardon the irony] Scenes ARE now working for me!
Recommended Solution
Options
18 Reply
Re:Kasa Smart Scenes & Smart Actions have stopped working since Kasa Smart update to v3.0.0 (iOS)
2022-09-29 13:07:18

An update to the issue I posted above: I have tried on two Android phones and once you download the Kasa Smart app from Google Play, you login and it asks you to update, once you press update it goes to the same Google Play page where you have downloaded the app! Something is seriously wrong here!

Options
Re:Kasa Smart Scenes & Smart Actions have stopped working since Kasa Smart update to v3.0.0 (iOS)
2022-09-29 21:27:24

@npapanik,

This appears to be a large update that is affecting more than just the app interface, as there seem to be a lot of changes in the backend to make the systems more compatible and more efficient. Currently, this issue is a result of Apple Releasing the Update before the Google Play Store, as you get directed to the page where the update WILL appear. Other users reported that they had some issues with their scenes and automations, and our engineering team responded to log out of Kasa, reinstall the app, and then log back in, as this will force the app to resync. We are hoping that the update will finish the approval process very soon, as it could even be today; we just don't know for certain. Unfortunately, for a short while, you may have to control your devices via the iOS app or an integration such as SmarthThings, Google Home, or Alexa.

We apologize for the inconvenience that the update is causing and any incompatibilities that exist right now. Trust me though, this update is a huge step forward when it comes to the Kasa Smart Home Brand and paves the way for what will be coming in the future.

Options
2022-09-30 02:49:26

@npapanik 

TP-Link is releasing this new Kasa APP gradually and not all Kasa owners can upgrade the new Kasa v3.0.0 at the initial stage. As Riley suggested, you may wait for the official release for Android.

Or you may install the pre-released version on their global community from the below link:

https://community.tp-link.com/en/smart-home/forum/topic/582372

I would suggest deleting the existing Kasa APP on your Android phone and reinstalling the one from the above link, that may avoid some unknown issues since the new one is such a big step forward.

Options
2022-09-30 07:17:17

@Riley_S Firstly, many thanks for your answer. 

As I have posted on my top post I do not have any Android devices, I just tested on two colleagues of mine to see if it was an iOS issue or a widespread one. I have logged out from my account and deleted the Kasa Smart app from both my iPhone & iPad and re-installed, but the Scenes problem continues as of today. I understand that this is a major update and I appreciate it. I hope you guys short it out quickly. Many thanks.

Options
2022-10-03 11:11:22
Followed your advice - nothing doing, scenes still fail. This is an incredibly poor upgrade if the level of testing allows such a situation to occur! --- Trust is earned, not notified
Options
2022-10-05 08:01:23
I've been updated to 3.0.2 build 1907 and all scenes are not working. All scenes have a 'New' label next to them. Setting up a new scene and that doesn't work either. Uninstall/reinstall makes no difference. This is incredibly disappointing for a product that has consisently worked well. Can't see much urgency in resolving this major issue.
Options
2022-10-05 08:31:19

@Lozboz same here: 3.02 and the problem with the Scenes persists...

Options
2022-10-05 08:36:39 - last edited 2022-10-05 08:37:28

@Lozboz  Maybe its a region problem? Where are you located? I am in Athens, Greece.

Options
2022-10-05 11:26:10

@npapanik I'm in the UK.  I have tried changing time zone but it doesn't fix the problem. 

Options
2022-10-05 11:29:48

@Lozboz that's what I am saying, it could be the European region altogether which has the problem, since the Kasa ecosystem is in AWS as far as I know and maybe they haven't updated their European site...

Options

Information

Helpful: 2

Views: 3194

Replies: 18