New Kasa App broken for iPhone iOS 16 users

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

New Kasa App broken for iPhone iOS 16 users

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
39 Reply
Re:New Kasa App broken for iPhone iOS 16 users
2022-10-08 21:33:44

@Solla-topee 

I've clearly covered all of your requests in my previous posts.  Even so, I'm attaching yet another screenshot specifically to show that my app and phone both are fully updated.  It is an iPhone 13 Pro Max.

Someone else above already isolated the issue for you, at least with respect to my version of the problem:  As soon as the app is granted access to Local Network Devices, it freezes and then won't open past the green loading screen.  If that access is disabled, then the app will allow me to see my already installed Kasa devices.  (The app, in this case, continues to identify every device as "new" with a yellow tag no matter how many times the devices are used.)  Obviously, this doesn't really solve much of anything, because I/we can't add new Kasa devices, LAN-based integrations, etc without enabling local network access. 

This really ought to be enough information to get the techs focused where they need to be.  Toggling on one very specific function (integral to the app, and as instructed by Kasa within the in-app setup) causes the app to hang at the loading screen.  That's a pretty specific bug, relatively speaking.

8585bc49f8c04c01a54f8aa7023fa246

2a9eaa1c8cd04d63a939f5a0e7be5532

Options
2022-10-09 06:27:28 - last edited 2022-10-09 07:32:26

@dwr @KL9381 

Thank you for sharing this experience and providing more details in regard to the IOS Kasa APP 3.0.x , we will ensure your feedback here has been passed onto the appropriate teams for further investigation. As you noticed the new IOS Kasa APP 3.0.2 version with some patches has been released, our engineers are currently looking into the user's further feedback and working on them. 

@dwr  To better assist with your case, we created a support email TKID221010442 and get it escalated, please check your inbox ~

Options
2022-10-09 07:39:50 - last edited 2022-10-09 07:52:38

Hi  @fcadena72 

Usually the Kasa APP will ask for the  ' Local network'  permission when user first time open the Kasa APP (install the new APP) , if that not the case you could try some tips here 

• Reboot your phone or IOS mobile device 
  • select ' I've already given the local network permission' at the bottom of the app to bypass that page.Then click the ‘ +’ icon on the top right to add a new kasa device and see if the IOS prompts Local network window
  • Go to Settings on your IOS device- search' Privacy' and open 'Privacy & Security' > Local network > toogle on this option for the Kasa APP
  • Turn off VPN or security Apps on the phone
  • Confirm there is Internet connection on your phone. The phone should be connected to Wifi network or use cellular data.

If you have a different mobile device, you could also try to use a different mobile device to setup the kasa APP.

Options
2022-10-11 17:00:13

tl;dr - Kasa App updated to v.3.0.3. Same issues remain.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

An update to the Kasa App (v. 3.0.3 - Build 1271) was released yesterday/today sometime (as well as an update to iOS: 16.0.3).

I can confirm that this update did NOT fix the issue. To be clear, I turned on "Local Network" within the iOS settings, updated the Kasa App, updated iOS, rebooted the phone, and attemped to use the app.

The results are identical to the issues described above: unresponsive, laggy, unable to navigate the app or use any devices. Additionally, two devices which were previously added (and are showing as already added) are continually showing as 'New Devices' under the "+" icon in the top right corner of the main screen.

After toggling off the "Local Network" toggle within iOS settings, the app works without any issue.

Options
2022-10-11 22:32:41

dwr wrote

tl;dr - Kasa App updated to v.3.0.3. Same issues remain.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

An update to the Kasa App (v. 3.0.3 - Build 1271) was released yesterday/today sometime (as well as an update to iOS: 16.0.3).

I can confirm that this update did NOT fix the issue. To be clear, I turned on "Local Network" within the iOS settings, updated the Kasa App, updated iOS, rebooted the phone, and attemped to use the app.

The results are identical to the issues described above: unresponsive, laggy, unable to navigate the app or use any devices. Additionally, two devices which were previously added (and are showing as already added) are continually showing as 'New Devices' under the "+" icon in the top right corner of the main screen.

After toggling off the "Local Network" toggle within iOS settings, the app works without any issue.

@dwr 

Yep -- exactly the same for me.  After the update I re-enabled local network access for the Kasa app, and since then I have had nothing but the frozen greenloading screw except for two times.  And on those two better occasions, the app loaded only to the point of showing the top portion of my devices list, but then would not scroll and became 100% unresponsive.  

Meanwhile, TP-Link keeps asking me the same questions:  What phone do I have? Can I provide a video of what's happening?  (This is critical for them, they say...)  No, folks, I will not be recording and sending strangers video of my phone screen.  I'm sure watching the all do *nothing whatsoever* except open to your green loading screen and hang would be super extra extraordinarily critically helpful.  But your skilled techs are going to need to need to get their act together without the benefit of watching their own app's loading screen indefinitely.

P.S. for Team Kasa:  See the above message from @dwr?  If that user can understand perfectly

the detailed descriptions already provided numerous times, as can so many of your other customers, then why is your team still trying to grasp even the basics such as what phone/OS I'm using, or whether I've tried restarting my phone?  Get it together, folks.

Options
2022-10-12 01:42:31

@KL9381 @dwr 

Thank you for the continued feedback  in regard to the situation and provided the more case details thumbs up we 've shared the information with our team for some further investigation.

When there is any updated news,  we will be trying to keep our community up to date and share with you ,really appreciated your patience and cooperation while our team is looking into this. 

Options
2022-10-13 18:14:49

@dwr Thanks for the solution! That did it!!!

dwr wrote

@KL9381 Someone found a fix for this one Reddit.

1. On your iPhone, go to the Settings App.
  2. Scroll Down to and Select the 'Kasa' App.
  3. Toggle OFF the 'Local Network' Setting.
  4. Get Money.

Options
2022-10-13 19:32:44

FPG wrote

@dwr Thanks for the solution! That did it!!!

dwr wrote

@KL9381 Someone found a fix for this one Reddit.

1. On your iPhone, go to the Settings App.
  2. Scroll Down to and Select the 'Kasa' App.
  3. Toggle OFF the 'Local Network' Setting.
  4. Get Money.

@FPG   That's not a solution, it's a temporary workaround.  Local network access is necessary for smart home/automation integrations, properly adding new devices, and so on.  Disabling core functionality within the app is not sustainable.  

Options
2022-10-13 19:49:43

@KL9381,

We have received news that an update to the app has already been developed and is just starting testing. It appears that this update will fix some of the issues that users have been mentioning, such as the stuck initial loading screen and the wait for devices to initially become available.

The team is actively investigating and fixing the issues that are being reported. As such, any solution that operates as a stopgap until the newest updates launch are more than welcome and is only meant to provide access until the issue is fixed.

Options
2022-10-13 19:52:33

@FPG Yea, unfortunately it is a temporary solution until the issues can be sorted out on the backend. It at least gives us access to the app to control the devices.

As an update, I ordered a the Kasa LED Light Strip and attempted to set it up, however with the 'Local Network' setting toggled off, I was not able to add it like I was prior to the last update which means that some progress is being made on the backend. I simply toggled it back on during the setup (since I didn't need too much control of the app itself during setup), added the device, and toggled it back off.

Hopefully a fix is coming soon...

Options
Related Articles