Votes

Re-instate "local mode"

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Votes

Re-instate "local mode"

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Re-instate "local mode"
Re-instate "local mode"
2022-10-07 18:24:55 - last edited 2022-12-07 18:52:44

I am told that the new app has no "local mode". This seems like a massive omission. Internet access is not 100% stable for anybody. If they have integrated your products into their smart home, then even a brief internet outage is going to be a massive inconvenience. Having local mode back would be a simple fix.

I really cannot understand why you chose to delete this useful feature, but then again literally nothing in the new app seems to be an improvement over the old one :(

Options
5 Reply
Re:Re-instate "local mode"
2022-10-07 20:53:36

@Digsy.

Where did you hear that there was no local control in the app? If your network loses connection to the internet, you should have a notification that appears indicating that you are controlling your devices locally and are not connected to the cloud. 

Local Only Control is something that I am sure will only be growing as a result of the new technologies being developed such as matter, and allowing devices to directly communicate with each other.

Options
2022-10-07 21:46:58

In this post here:

https://community.tp-link.com/en/smart-home/forum/topic/582372?replyId=1137988

I must admit I have not tested it myself. I'm kind of done with tinkering with the new app for one week :)

Options
2022-10-08 00:28:46

@Digsy,

I believe that this is just in reference to the initial setup process. Previously, a select few of our plugs could be controlled without having to log in to a Kasa account. Like on the main screen when you first launch the app there used to be an option(for some products) to not log in and gain basic control over plugs. This has generally been phased out as we can't guarantee any functionality if your device isn't updating its firmware from our servers, or isn't receiving the most recent security updates.

There are still options to control your devices locally, they must just be set up with a Kasa Account first. Also, many of our newer smart devices are shipping with Homekit, Google, and Amazon Setup Compatibility, which allows you to skip the initial Kasa Configuration Process and use your Respective App for Basic Controls. Local Control Can also be achieved by using other third party services to control your device.

The actual local control of your devices from your phone remains the same; in fact the team made it easier to identify when it happens.

Options
2022-10-09 01:48:21

@Digsy 

This is what I received from tech support confirming local control was gone

"Hello and thank you for contacting TP-Link support.

This is Nico the technical representative you've talked earlier.

After our consultation to our senior engineer it is confirm that skip/guest feature on kasa application was removed after the update.

We confirm that you really need to create an account to get the kasa devices working. We appreciate your patience.

Thank you!

We look forward to hearing back from you. If you have additional information or feedback to provide, please feel free to let us know.

Please expect the email reply within 1 business day.  For urgent assistance please contact our Live Chat/Phone support with your ticket reference number.

https://www.tp-link.com/support/contact-technical-support/#LiveChat-Support

Nico Cedeno

TP-Link Technical Support

Options
2022-10-29 22:57:20

Omitting local mode?
Breaking integration with open source apps?

Spiting your own ecosystem with  Kasa/Tapo/Deco/(RANDOM4LETTERBUZZWORD)?

While Shelly plugs BOAST their integration with almost anything?

What is the grand strategy here? Take over the world through vendor locked cloud only plugs?

This needs serious rethinking....

Options

Information

Helpful: 2

Views: 633

Replies: 5

Voters 1