Poor Connection? Camera just spins

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-10-19 01:10:49 - last edited 2022-10-21 14:55:19
Model: KC420WS  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 2.3.15

I have two Kasa Outdoor Cameras. They are both within a few feet of each other . One of them works great. The other one barely works at all. It has trouble connecting and clearly has a poor signal (2 bars when I can get it to load). I've tried relocating the router closer to the camera, but the signal strength didn't improve at all. Even more confusing is that the other KASA CAM (which is 5 feet away), has full signal and works perfectly. Could this unit be defective? I know the suggestion will be to reset it... I've done this three times and always with the same results.

85fc8c7d860247edb613f25374344720

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Poor Connection? Camera just spins-Solution
2022-10-21 14:54:32 - last edited 2022-10-21 14:55:19

Update:

I just returned the camera to the store and got a replacement. I plugged the replacement in and it works perfectly. I'm very glad I didn't mess with the bogus suggestions about messing with my router from Kasa Support. It took only a few minutes to return the device which was obviously defective.

Recommended Solution
Options
4 Reply
Re:Poor Connection? Camera just spins
2022-10-19 02:16:50

@RutlandCasey 

Did you put the camera in a box?  That could be the reason that camera receiving the weak WiFi signal from router.

I would take it out and put it to the same location as the indoor camera for a comparison.

Another thing to note, the higher resolution requires more bandwidth, I assume you could also set the camera on different resolutions or video quality for a test.

Options
2022-10-19 09:14:12

@Little_C Thanks for the suggestions. It is in a box (dog house), but there isn't much to the box besides some plywood. I did take the camera inside at one point next to the router to complete the setup. When it was inside, the video stream was still horrible. I have it on the lowest setting. I should also note that I have a "smart plug" inside the dog house as well which has no problem communicating with the router, but obviously that is lower bandwidth.

Options
2022-10-19 18:58:52

I received a response from support that didn't seem to pay any attention to the fact that I have another camera working right next to it. It just went in to some complicated instructions for messing with my router which I know is not the

Options
Re:Poor Connection? Camera just spins-Solution
2022-10-21 14:54:32 - last edited 2022-10-21 14:55:19

Update:

I just returned the camera to the store and got a replacement. I plugged the replacement in and it works perfectly. I'm very glad I didn't mess with the bogus suggestions about messing with my router from Kasa Support. It took only a few minutes to return the device which was obviously defective.

Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 294

Replies: 4

Related Articles