two blacks vs one

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

two blacks vs one

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
two blacks vs one
two blacks vs one
2022-10-22 15:52:34 - last edited 2022-10-22 17:11:30

I have a single pole toggle i am replacing with a HS200. I have one black (hot), one white (nuetral) and one green (ground) coming out of the wall. 2 black wires on the back of the hs200?? Do I leave one of the blk wires capped or connect all three together? I do have a white wire available on the 2 pole switch next to the HS200. can I share the white from the 2 pole?

Options
2 Reply
Re:two blacks vs one
2022-10-24 19:17:35

@nchaires,

I would recommend trying to map out the wires that are going through your walls from the fixture to the switch. This sounds like you have a nonconventional wiring setup, if this is an outdoor switch, this may be the reason why. 

The HS200 works by powering the device through one black wire, and then the other black wire runs to the fixture and powers the light. Without two wires, either the switch wont have power, or the light wont have power.

Options
Re:two blacks vs one
2022-10-25 01:56:55 - last edited 2022-10-25 01:58:14

Buy a voltmeter.

Test and document. Know:

What line is hot (will be so when switch is off). That is "line"

What line is hot only when switch is on. That is "load".

Test voltage from suspected voltage to ground. It should be zero.

NOW turn off the circuit. Take a picture of the old setup.

Confirm there are almost no ohms between neutral and ground. If you have a KNOWN neutral you may share it. But: You can't always trust color. Connect line, load, neutral, and ground.

Power up and test.

Power back down and install switch into gangbox.

power and re-test

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 263

Replies: 2

Related Articles