migrating from one account to new user

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-10-29 17:29:18 - last edited 2022-10-29 17:30:22
Model: HS220  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi, I have 50 new switches in a house I renovated, and I have sold the house. I have the account on my personal email. I would simply like to change the user and password from mine to a generic house email/password for the new owner. I don't see where to do this? They won't want me having access to their lighting.  Thank you. 

Options
4 Reply
Re:migrating from one account to new user
2022-11-01 04:45:33

@bolorat 

At the very least you can change the password, and under "me" on the app it looks like you can change the email address under "view account" and "login security".

@Carl 

I'd like to know the formal answer too!

Options
2022-11-01 15:52:09

@dafish 

The change password you see under Me and View Accounts is just the Kasa Account password.  This does not change the link to the network the smart home devices are connected to.  For that, you have to do a factory reset on each device.  This will allow you to link the smart home devices to a new account and a new network.  Kasa does not have a way to transfer devices to a new Kasa account or a new network without a reset.    

Options
2022-11-02 09:50:17

@Carl 

Let me strongly encourage Kasa, and you, to reconsdider this.   Few to nobody would require a network change,  and I can appreciate the in ability to change that on the fly,   But selling, or buying, an automate home has enough things going on.   If we assume seller & buyer are comfortable leaving SSID and passcode behind (as most would be), all you're really doing is changing the E-mail address on the account.  That should be relatively simple.

Am I missing something?

Thanks,

-d

Options
2022-11-02 16:08:45

@dafish 

To be completely honest this is how our products have always been.  TP-Link doesn't manufacture products with transfer in ownership in mind, especially since warranties don't transfer.   Additionally, using credentials from a previous owner is a huge security risk.  While most people are honest and genuine there are others that aren't and using a previous owner's credentials could lead to a comprised network and is not recommended.  Kasa products can be very easily transferred it requires the original owner to remove the devices from their Kasa app and then reset them to the factory.  This will allow the new owner to create a Kasa account and set the devices up using said account and their network.  It might be inconvenient if you have a lot of Kasa products and you don't want to take the devices with you, but its all that can be done. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 414

Replies: 4