KS-230 V2 Suggestions

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

KS-230 V2 Suggestions

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
KS-230 V2 Suggestions
KS-230 V2 Suggestions
2022-11-07 06:26:35
Model: KS230 KIT  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version:

Works nicely.  Some thoughts:

1. Please give me the "double-tap" function back.  What good is a "long press" to a pre-preset when we've no fast return to the "normal" brightness.  The level of capability having both "Long Press" and 'Double Tap" is really high, I use it on the 2 pole dimmers to great affect.  Sure miss it here.
  2. As I say for all the switches:
    1. Please give us a scenario where we can set brightness without turning the light on.   I use this on my Feits often and it's quite useful.  Sadly, at present Kasa scene's assume that i want to set a brightness and ALSO want it turned on, so they integrate the commands.  Nope.  ( I actually think this is a progamming error).  I OFTEN want a specific level or brightness but only if/when the light is turned on.
      1. Interestingly, Alexa programmers have already split those apart, so via Alexa it's possible to set brightness (as can my Feits) from their routines.  However, even then Kasa  switches don't honor the call (it again turns the light on also) even though I can explicitly make the call.
    2. Kasa is sending kits with Phillips screws for installation.  Why?  Industry uses a square drive #2 with an SAE slot in them, and it's MUCH faster and less likely to strip.  Yet here you are sending us crummy screws with 
    3. LED indicators:  Why does each switch version have such dramatic LED indicator brightness differences?  Can it be that hard to make sure they all look the same? 
  3. May I suggest you make the new version packaging more clear:  Amazon shipped me Version 1 devices even though I paid the premium for V2 and carefully choose the "new version 2" at checkout.  I have to admit the packaging is not obvious at all.

Options
2 Reply
Re:KS-230 V2 Suggestions
2022-11-08 00:33:29

@dafish,

1. I believe that the Double Tap Function was Removed as one of the most common complaints that we received was in concern to the delay that came along with this feature. With the V1, the device would have to wait to confirm that there was not a second button press coming, and this caused many of our users to believe that there was a flaw in the device. 

2. I believe that this is dependent on how the engineers decided to control the attributes of the device; I'm not sure that this is a functionality that can be added via a firmware update but I will look into it further. If I remember reading correctly, LIFX Bulbs were one of the originals that had this ability, and it was a result of adding special calls to the device. Back in the early days of HA, LiFX bulbs wouldn't even obey the normal turn on/off commands as a result. 

However, I will definitely forward this onto the rest of the team as this is definitely a feature that we are seeing increasing support for.

3. Our team is now looking into the screws that come with similar smart switches to see what others include. Thanks for the recommendation as this is a factor that we would not notice normally.

4. I passed along the feedback that it would be preferred to have a more clear indicator of what version device you have on the package, however, we normally attempt to keep packaging across hardware versions relatively similar.

Options
Re:KS-230 V2 Suggestions
2022-11-08 02:41:00
As always, thank you for all your help. On the "Double Tap" removal. please record my vote as the following: 1) That's just silly - what's a double click delay? 1/10th of a second? Here let's have come fun: Try going to "clickspeedtest . com" and see for yourself. I'm under 1/10th of a second, but lets pretend somebody is slow and make it 3/10's for a time-out. 2) Or maybe it's just lazy programming. Why not just add a user configurable "sensing delay" for the second click? Impatient users set it to "0", essentially disabling double click. The slow-pokes set it to 10 (meaning 10/10ths), while most of us would set it to 2. Anyway, thanks all your help! -d
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 256

Replies: 2

Related Articles