Alexa integration broken

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Alexa integration broken

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Alexa integration broken
Alexa integration broken
2022-11-15 04:15:40 - last edited 2022-11-16 06:27:40

I suddenly have several devices that are not responding when turning them on via my Amazon Echo devices or the Alexa app on my phone. Some devices are still working, but approximate half of my devices are not responding. The app says "Server not responding". Is anybody else having the same issue?

Edited to add that all devices respond in the Kasa app as well has Homekit via Homebridge 

Options
1 Accepted Solution
[Solution] Kasa Devices Offline/ Alexa or Google Integration Broken on Nov 15th-Solution
2022-11-16 06:20:32 - last edited 2022-11-21 01:29:03

Hello everyone, 

We apologize for the unexpected cloud service outage on Nov 15, We are so sorry that you were affected. 

We have rectified the issue, and you should be able to manage your Kasa devices now. Please double-check if your Kasa devices are back online in your Kasa App and if the Alexa or Google integration starts to work.

Please try to reboot your kasa device and see if devices are online or works with Alexa. 

• Reboot plug (unplug and plug back in)
  • Reboot kasa switch (Press RESTART button on the right bottom for 1 sec to reboot the Switch.

[Troubleshooting tips]

If you still experience similar concerns, please try the following steps that may help to resolve them.

Case 1: if your Kasa device suddenly became offline remotely.

- reboot your plug (unplug and plug back in) or kasa switch (Press RESTART button on the right bottom for 1 sec to reboot the Switch.)

- try a different network like LTE mobile data or a non-local Wi-Fi network to observe if devices are available in the Kasa APP.

Case2: if Alexa/Google stopped working with the Kasa devices.
- confirm your Kasa device is online remotely when the phone is on LTE mobile data. If not, try to reboot your kasa device.

- relink your TP-Link account in the Alexa APP/ Google home app.

If the issue persists with finishing all the above, please provide more detailed information as below and email support.forum@tp-link.com with the subject " [Forum ID 589080]  Model+ Case Description ", we'd love to look into that further:

1. TP-Link ID / email account  ( please send via email)
2. A photo of the error message 

3. Device Name of affected the devices 

4. Time : E.g. Nov 15, 9 AM (UTC+8) experienced the issue.

5. Does a reboot on the kasa device help:

Thank you very much

Recommended Solution
Options
15 Reply
Re:Alexa integration broken
2022-11-15 12:47:44 - last edited 2022-11-16 10:57:20

@jlboggsCO I am having the exact same problem and I see some people complaining about it on the Alexa app review forum. It's driving me crazy. I've tried to unlink and relink the Kasa skill in Alexa with no result.

Options
2022-11-15 12:58:39 - last edited 2022-11-15 12:59:10

@Msmillefiore I did some troubleshooting last night and noticed that the same devices are unavailable in the Kasa all if I disconnect from my local WiFi. This lead me to believe this has something to do with allowing remote access to switches. For some reason, they removed the remote access toggle from their app. I was able to fix this by resetting each device. It's a huge pain, but luckily when you reset and re-add a device, it retains all of its settings. When adding it, make sure you select "Do not reset". 

Options
2022-11-15 14:59:36
Thanks for this. I am dreading doing it, many are hidden behind furniture etc. Is the resetting done by holding down the button on the device?
Options
2022-11-15 15:13:12

@Msmillefiore it varies from device to device. For plugs with a single button, you hold it down for 5ish seconds until I flashes blue and orange. Wall switches have a reset button that you hold for 5 seconds.  Bulbs are power cycled 5-8 times, depending on the model and hardware version. 

I recommend disconnecting from your wifi and refresh the Kasa app to figure out exactly which devices need to be reset. It's possible that not all need to be reset. I believe I had to reset 8 devices, which is about half. You'll need to re-join your wifi to add the devices. 

Options
2022-11-15 23:43:30

@jlboggsCO I'm also having this issue, realized outside light were still on while leaving this morning but I could access them and 5 other devices through Kasa. Later while on our wifi I could control everything but all 6 devices were unresponsive on Alexa. Does anyone know if this is a Kasa issue or an Alexa issue? 

Options
[Solution] Kasa Devices Offline/ Alexa or Google Integration Broken on Nov 15th-Solution
2022-11-16 06:20:32 - last edited 2022-11-21 01:29:03

Hello everyone, 

We apologize for the unexpected cloud service outage on Nov 15, We are so sorry that you were affected. 

We have rectified the issue, and you should be able to manage your Kasa devices now. Please double-check if your Kasa devices are back online in your Kasa App and if the Alexa or Google integration starts to work.

Please try to reboot your kasa device and see if devices are online or works with Alexa. 

• Reboot plug (unplug and plug back in)
  • Reboot kasa switch (Press RESTART button on the right bottom for 1 sec to reboot the Switch.

[Troubleshooting tips]

If you still experience similar concerns, please try the following steps that may help to resolve them.

Case 1: if your Kasa device suddenly became offline remotely.

- reboot your plug (unplug and plug back in) or kasa switch (Press RESTART button on the right bottom for 1 sec to reboot the Switch.)

- try a different network like LTE mobile data or a non-local Wi-Fi network to observe if devices are available in the Kasa APP.

Case2: if Alexa/Google stopped working with the Kasa devices.
- confirm your Kasa device is online remotely when the phone is on LTE mobile data. If not, try to reboot your kasa device.

- relink your TP-Link account in the Alexa APP/ Google home app.

If the issue persists with finishing all the above, please provide more detailed information as below and email support.forum@tp-link.com with the subject " [Forum ID 589080]  Model+ Case Description ", we'd love to look into that further:

1. TP-Link ID / email account  ( please send via email)
2. A photo of the error message 

3. Device Name of affected the devices 

4. Time : E.g. Nov 15, 9 AM (UTC+8) experienced the issue.

5. Does a reboot on the kasa device help:

Thank you very much

Recommended Solution
Options
[Solution] Kasa Devices Offline/ Alexa orGoogle Integration Broken on Nov 15th
2022-11-16 10:54:16 - last edited 2022-11-16 10:58:36

@Solla-topee your solution tips did not work. I have unlinked and re-linked the Kasa skill with Alexa multiple times, and re-discovered the devices. It will recognize the devices, but when I try to use them with Alexa I get the message "device is not responding."  

I can control the devices using the Kasa app while on local Wi-Fi, but nothing works while using the cell phone network. 

The only device that works is the one that I completely removed from kasa and set up again like was recommended above. I do not have the time to deal with this, and I have not set up the other devices again. 
I don't want to provide the information you asked for on a public forum. Let us know if there's an alternative way to provide it- this is definitely an inconvenience. 

Options
2022-11-16 11:55:38 - last edited 2022-11-16 11:56:16

Hi there  @Msmillefiore 

Thank you very much for reporting back, I will share with our team about your recent feedback.

At the same time,  can you share the above details with us via the email (mentioned in 'solution' post) to help us better pinpoint the cause and look into it, many thanks!

Options
2022-11-16 13:52:35

@Solla-topee i don't know how to get the MAC address of a device and I don't know how to date and time stamp the error message. Maybe someone else can do this for you. 

Options
2022-11-17 02:15:03

Hello   @TracyRD 

May I know did the Alexa work fine for you now?  Based on your account registered in the community, the Alexa should be good now.  Thank you in advance for any updated feedback.

Options

Information

Helpful: 4

Views: 2475

Replies: 15

Related Articles