KS230 in a 4-way switch

KS230 in a 4-way switch

KS230 in a 4-way switch
KS230 in a 4-way switch
2022-12-10 19:06:32

Adding a comment here, because I was pulling my hair out and not finding anything on the Internet with how this can be done specifically

I have Kasa HS230. I bought two of the version 1.0 kits. 

I was able to make this work on a four way, but it does require using one main and 2 satellites. So you’re going to buy two kits and have an extra main that is worthless at the end of the day. 

Main gets wired up on the line side as normal.

The satellite on the other three way switch gets wired up as normal. 

In the middle, where I have four wires coming in for my dumb four way switch I wired up an additional satellite. In my installation, my four-way travelers coming into that four way switch were white and red (4 wires total with a white and red coming from each 3-way switch). I have the whites both connected to the Traveler 1 and reds both connected to Traveler 2/load. Red and white Colors match the other Traveler 1 and 2 on the Main and other satellite. 

Everything works perfectly.

Options
12 Reply
Re:KS230 in a 4-way switch
2022-12-12 18:09:44

@4wayman,

Any Kind of 3+ Configuration will most likely only need one main unit as this is the only unit that actually changes the power flowing to the device in order to change the brightness. All the satellite devices do is send a signal to the Main unit that tells the unit to dim or brighten the light.

While the main unit of the kit is the main, I believe that it is simply an HS220 unit bundled with a dumber satellite. That means that you can install your extra main to another light that is not a three-way configuration, and the device will dim/work properly 

Just so i can learn what you did here:

Was what you did to accomplish this essentially splicing in an extra satellite unit to the traveler line, and just attaching both sides to the correct nut on the device?

Options
2022-12-12 18:42:27

@Riley_S 

Hi Riley, I'm really glad you replied. I didn't consider that I could just use these extra mains that I'm going to have on other single pole switches that are not three-way. Great idea!!

Yes, I spliced in the satellite where the 4-way switch would be.  Just connected both travelers to their respective screws on the extra satellite in the middle (traveler 1's together on Traveler 1 screw and traveler 2's together on the Traveler 2/load screw) and the whole system works perfectly.  Note, this is using the older 1.0 style.   I don't know how or if the newer version would work the same way.   

Would be great to see TP Link test this and add instructions if it is a legitimate use.   Also selling individual extra satellites for 4 and 5 way applications.

Options
2023-06-17 12:46:06

@4wayman 

Hey thanks for all the info on this I have 3 - 4 way switches I have to wire with the ks230... so here I go ...

Options
2023-06-17 13:10:59

@TH13 Just got an email from your reply.

I spent so much time on this that I went through the trouble of registering an account on here just to spread this gospel.  My greatest hope was that it would help at least one other person out there!   Good luck!  

Make sure you have the older version, the newer versions might not work with this strategy.  

Options
2023-06-21 22:09:28 - last edited 2023-06-21 22:12:47

@4wayman,

FYI the newer version should work in much the same way - they are largely the same in function.

However, we do still recommend looking at the HS210 Kits and their threads as there have been many users with success stories and have some relatively complicated wiring setups.

Options
2023-09-06 01:57:46

@TH13 were you able to get it working? If so, were you using v2 or v1 satellites? I'm using v2's because it's all I've been able to find. So far, I've only been able to get one satellite or the other to work (never both together). I'm going absolutely bonkers! I'm sure I'm just missing something stupid. This is what I'm looking at where the 4-way switch would be. There's a red and black wire coming from each 3-way.

Options
2023-09-06 10:52:21

@DarkAngela 

Sorry, this does NOT work with the V2.  And the V1 appears to no longer be available anywhere.  Don't bother trying to buy V1 on eBay or Amazon, they are all DOA units that were returned and are being resold.  

I had one of my V1's stop working and tried to replace it a few weeks ago but was not able to find one.

I ended up just abandoning the 4-way by tying the reds and whites together in the 4-way box and essentially turning it back into a 3-way setup.  Not ideal. 

TP LINK, FFS, sell a multi-location dimmer. 

Options
2023-10-09 22:51:41

@TH13 

In a 3 way/4way setting, all you have to do is change out the 3 way switch at the end of the run and it will work for the whole string. Don't touch the 4way switch at all. The 4 way switch has 4 wires to it, basically just two pairs of travelers in and out. Leave those alone.

Options
2023-10-09 22:53:07

@DarkAngela 

Don't touch the 4 ways, just replace the 3 way switch with the KS230.....done.

Options
2023-10-10 02:17:00

@Clffhnger Not really.  You can bypass the four-way switch completely by combining the traveler wires permanently inside the junction box. But if you leave the four-way in place, the satellite at the load side will only work when the four way switch is in the right position.  When it it switches it will cross the wires and the satellite won't function.  

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 3298

Replies: 12

Related Articles