Votes

Add Motion Sensor on Switches as a Trigger

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Votes

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-12-12 17:12:10
Tags: #trigger
Model: ES20M  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.8

In the Kasa app, currently:

• Only Motion from Cameras is available as a Trigger for Smart Actions
  • Smart Action Triggers from Switches includes only On and Off, even if the selected Switch has a Motion Sensor

It would seem ideal that within the Kasa app and ecosystem, any device with a Motion Sensor, should have that Sensor exposed and available to use as an event Trigger.

Options
5 Reply
Re:Add Motion Sensor on Switches as a Trigger
2022-12-12 18:37:38

@Vapian,

Unfortunately, I do not have an ES20M on hand; would it be possible to send a screenshot of the triggers available for the device so that I can create a proper request for our development team?

One thing that can be done for now, is to create a smart action that is based off the status of the light, and setting the motion sensor options from the device's settings. 

Options
Re:Add Motion Sensor on Switches as a Trigger
2022-12-12 19:22:33 - last edited 2023-01-04 01:56:51

@Riley_S 

These are the only options offered in Smart / Smart Actions / <smartActionName> / When (triggers) for an ES20M (and, one might assume, the KS200M):

1a9943c78a664dbf84d81ef465dfe31e

What I would expect here is anything on a Switch that could act as a trigger, would be available. That would suggest the total possibilities of:

- Turn On

- Turn Off
- Power Toggle (change in power state)
- Dim + 

- Dim -

- Motion

- Ambiance Level (selectable; properly implemented, this could effectively serve as a Dusk/Dawn sensor)

- Bonus Points: Double-taps of any physical button (Power, Dim +, or Dim -)

Using any of these as a trigger, probably depends on whether the firmware knows that any of those states have changed, conditions have been met, or buttons have been pressed. But that is almost certainly already the case. If so, then the work probably "just" boils down to being able to have it do something specifc or configurable as a result (please make sure your devs know I put air-quotes around the word 'just' - I know these things aren't as easy as some folks think!).

Options
RE:Add Motion Sensor on Switches as a Trigger
2022-12-31 04:59:09
Great suggestion!
Options
2023-01-04 00:30:54

@Triple7 @Vapian ;

I have been seeing an increase in feature requests for our motion devices, so over the next two weeks, I will be gathering feedback from across the forums and working to send these to our QA and development teams, if there are any other specific requests, now is the time. This is definitely a priority request in my mind, as other users have mentioned this functionality in their requests

Options
2023-01-04 01:58:36
I updated my post just up from this one, to clarify some things about my trigger suggestions. For now, that's all the fodder I have for this topic.
Options

Information

Helpful: 2

Views: 390

Replies: 5

Voters 2

Tags

trigger