HS 220 as a fan control variable speed switch

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-01-04 16:13:32
Tags: #Dimmer #Fan

In the thread here it was advised that it would not be a good choice to use the HS 220 as a way to control a fan, and use the dimmer as a variable speed control.    This message is to see if someone could help me understand a bit more as to why?    My knowledge in this space is very limited, so the reason may be obvious.

The way I think about this is, currently, I have two dimmer switches in the wall that are not WiFi, just traditional dimmer switches.    One controls the fan, and the other controls some lights in the room.   They are identical hardware.

So if they were both swapped for the HS 220, why would the fan controlling switch be a non-practical use of the HS220, while switching out the dimmer switch that controls the lights would be a fine use of the HS220?   Isn't the Wifi-enabled part just an add-on to the guts of pretty typical dimmer switch inside the HS220?

If "load on the switch" is an issue, is that the case as well for what is currently installed hardware in my wall now?   Or is that hardware that has a different specs and can handle a fan, while the HS220 cannot?

Thanks for the wisdom of others,

Capkrunch

Options
1 Reply
Re:HS 220 as a fan control variable speed switch
2023-01-06 07:16:54 - last edited 2023-01-06 07:17:06

@Capkrunch

When looking around over the internet, you will find using dimmer with fan may have a safety hazard. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 197

Replies: 1

Tags