App does not toggle HS210 3-way switch as expected

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-01-16 20:50:31
Model: HS210  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 1.0.8

I replaced one of my dumb 3 way switches with a HS210 smart 3-way switch.
Everything seems to work fine when I manually press either the HS210 or the other dumb 3-way.

However, there seems to be a problem when I try to use the app to change the light.  

The first tap on the app toggles the light (off if on, on if off).

Tapping the app again does nothing but change the status in the app.  The light remains as it was.

If I now tap the app again, the light toggles (on if off, off if on) as expected.  

Again, tapping the app another time does nothing but change the status in the app.

Everything I have read indicates that a single HS210 should be able to do what I intend it to do.  

So I am not sure how to fix this current behavior.  Feedback and thoughts would be appreciated.

Options
3 Reply
Re:App does not toggle HS210 3-way switch as expected
2023-01-17 17:29:23

@DustyCowboy 

So there is one thing to know and two things to try.  If you are using only one HS210 you will need to make sure it's connected to the Line or Live side of the 3-way run for it to work properly.  This is because it needs a constant flow of power to ensure the WiFi module is operational.  This allows the voice and app controls to work.   If it is not on the Line side this could be the cause of the concern. 

If it is on the line side though the first thing to do is delete the app and then reinstall it.  Then once installed check for a firmware update for the product (Open Kasa > Tap ME > Tap on Firmware Updates)

Options
2023-01-19 22:15:48

@Carl 

OK, I double checked the connection.
The switch is definitely connected to the Line, not the Load, side.

I also deleted, then reinstalled the app.

The firmware of all the devices is up-to-date.

The Kasa app is version 3.1.5.

Now here is the interesting thing.

After I wrote this (and taking some time to calm down a bit), I decided to give the app one more try.

Of course, now it seems to be working.

There was one instance where it needed to be toggled twice, but I suspect that I may not have waited long enough between tries.

So for now, it appears that things are in order.
Thanks again for your feedback.  Hopefully I won't have to revist this topic again.

Options
2023-01-24 00:40:32

@Carl 

Here's an update:

I installed a second 3-way switch for another light (not on the same light as the first switch so only one switch in each circuit).

I ended up having the same issue as the first one.

Deleting the app, then reinstalling it made everything work.

This was fine for about a day.

Today, the last installed 3-way switch works as expected, but the first installed one now works like it did before the "fix".

It is going to be a real pain if I have to delete and reinstalled the app every other day.

Is there any way to make things more stable???

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 323

Replies: 3

Related Articles