Installed the Dimmer Switch (ES20) and it works fine on our interior stairs except for one NAG...

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Installed the Dimmer Switch (ES20) and it works fine on our interior stairs except for one NAG...

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-01-17 02:29:51
Model: ES20M  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

The dimmer switch is located at the top of the stairwell and, because of the limited range, cannot detect movement at the bottom of the stairs. So my question is (other than using an Echo device somewhere at the bottom to tell Alexa to turn them on or to keep them on for a longer duration...not ideal), what other option(s) do we have to detect motion at the bottom as effectively as at the top?

Options
6 Reply
Re:Installed the Dimmer Switch (ES20) and it works fine on our interior stairs except for one NAG...
2023-01-17 17:50:13

@AshleyQuick 

So the FOV of the sensor is approx 120 degrees and 25 feet.  If the bottom of the stairs is outside of that you will not be able to control the lights with the sensor.  If it is in that range then please try to recalibrate the sensor and test again. 

Options
Re:Installed the Dimmer Switch (ES20) and it works fine on our interior stairs except for one NAG...
2023-01-22 07:21:50
Something that would act as a scene sensor would also work. EG: If you had a ring alarm you could set a Ring motion sensor at the bottom of the stair. Or even a door trigger. Really though anything that an be used as a routine trigger in alexa would work. Meaning you don't have to have an Alexa device there, or use a voice command.
Options
2023-01-22 07:25:45

@Carl 

Just a reminder, more that I've oft suggested a cordless companion switch similar to what Leviton uses.   The scenario above would certainly be a fine example of how such a remote switch would be useful.

Perhaps if you searched for "Leviton Anywhere Companion" you'd fine an excellent example of what I mean.

Options
2023-01-22 10:50:07

@dafish 

Could you possibly elaborate on this scenario? I don't really understand how it would connect to my existing setup

Options
2023-01-23 07:39:41

@AshleyQuick 

I can try, you'll have to tell me more about what you do and don't know or understand from below.  

An Alexa routine, or for that matter a Samsung Smart things or an IFTT acccount, creates an action script of user defined complexity that executes when a "trigger" event occurs.  A trigger can be many things.   A few of the many include time, a smart switch being turned on (or off), or in this case a Ring motion sensor.   In your case, and if you had a Ring Alarm, a Ring Motion Sensor (they stick up anywhere and are battery driven), seems to be a solid option for you.  You'd create a routine name, perhaps "remote stairway trigger" (or whatever) and use the sensor motion detection as the trigger.  The action would be basically "turn on hallway light, wait x minutes, turn off."

Now I don't do this, but I have tested it and could/might.  You have to have the ring alarm, but it doesn't even need to be armed.  Just installed and running along with a Ring motion sensor placed on whatever wall you want to detect motion.

If you're an alexa user look for "Routines, then add, then smart home, and note your kasa switches are shown (or should be).  So would you Ring motion sensors if you have them.  From there just follow the prompts (select the motion sensor, say "when motion detected, then next, then light to turn on, when "turn").   Test.   Once working add to the routine a "wait" (look in for it below "smart home" a ways), then the delay until you want the "off" command.  Then add the light again and this time specify "off".

Hopefully this gets you close.  

Options
2023-01-23 17:11:45

@dafish 

You must be a physic.  I literally just got a product notification for such a product.  unfortunately, it will not be a Kasa-branded product but instead, be released under our Tapo product line.  The product being mentioned is the Tapo S200D Smart Button.  Here is information on the product.  Please note this information is based on the UK region version, though I doubt there will be much difference between the two versions.  This is due to launch in Quarter 2 of this year.

Now to answer your next question.  No, I do not know if Kasa and Tapo will eventually work with each other or in each other's apps.  I hope so, but I don't have any word stating they will or won't, yet. 

And I anticipate one last question.  No there are no current plans for Kasa to have its own version.  Currently, the plan is that Kasa will continue into the distant future but will focus on its 4 core product lines:  Switches, Cameras, Plugs, and Lighting.  Tapo will expand into new Smart Home product realms like Sensors, Door locks, Vacuums, Hubs, etc.  

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 378

Replies: 6