KS200M "No motion is detected for xxx" not working as a trigger

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-01-24 21:25:01
Model: Kasa KS200  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.10

I recently installed a new smart motion switch (non-dimmer) and the "No motion is detected for xx" is not working to trigger the light to turn off. The motion sensor has been calibrated and functions properly to turn the light on with motion but will not work in reverse. Am I missing something or do I have a defective unit? 

I set up the Smart Control and verified the times. Again, if I reverse this to trigger the light to turn on with motion, it works fine.

Also, I have no Alexa triggers for motion with this switch. Is this right? It only shows triggers as the light on or off. 

Thanks in advance!

Options
6 Reply
Re:KS200M "No motion is detected for xxx" not working as a trigger
2023-01-25 18:13:18

@spiltaf,

I havent seen this behavior before. However, it could be that something small, such as a plant, or a reflection, is causing the device to detect motion. Try turning the sensitivity of the motion detection down, and see if the device is able to work that way.

To troubleshoot, I would also recommend changing the off feature to be off and dark, just to see if this will allow the device to be triggered to turn off.

It is recommended that if the motion sensing feature is not operating as expected, to factory reset(10 sec) the dimmer and readd the device to the Kasa app.

---

In terms of triggers, we have been passing the request for additional triggers based off of motion vs physical interaction to our team; I am actually in the middle of creating a relatively comprehensive report of the feature to our team. For now, the Alexa triggers will function, it just cannot distinguish between physical and motion interaction.

If there are specific features that you are looking to have added, I would be more than happy to add them to my feedback.

Options
2023-01-25 18:18:18

@Riley_S Thank you! I tried turning off the light sensor and the motion is already at the lowest possible. 

One thing that I did notice is you mentioned reflective surfaces could trigger motion. The entire wall adjacent to the sensor is a mirror. That being said, with no one in the room and the door closed (so no movement to be shown in the mirror), it still will not register.

Options
2023-01-25 18:47:47

@spiltaf 

Im not positive on how the sensor works, but you could try to cover the sensor with a piece of paper attached to the wall to see if the mirror is the cause. It may not be that there is motion reflecting, just that the mirror is bending the IR light in such a way that it is reading motion.

Options
2023-01-25 18:50:41
I wanted to rule out the mirror after reading your post so I covered the switch entirely with a metal pot and still it will not trigger the no motion. I changed it back to turn on with motion to see if it was getting any false triggers and it works perfectly in that manor. I tried the factory reset too, re added, and still the same. I'm starting to think I have a defective unit but my gut is still saying this is software related and not a hardware issue.
Options
2023-01-25 20:33:37

@spiltaf,

Double Check that you have no firmware updates available through the Kasa app for the device.

Also, does this happen when you have the trigger set to motion, or only when the trigger is set for manual operation? I believe that some older firmware required the device to be turned on via motion, for the motion off to function correctly.

Lastly, make sure that any time zone settings for the device are configured correctly. While it should not matter, the off feature has a delay that could possible be interrupted if the time zone settings are not correct. This usually, however, only applies to cloud-based automation, such as Smart Actions.

Options
2023-01-25 20:37:38
I'm running firmware version 1.0.10 and do not show anything newer available. I set the trigger to turn on as "motion" instead of "manual" and you're absolutely right- it works! It shuts off after the time specified with no motion. Now the issue is that I cannot do motion to turn it on as it's hooked up to an exhaust fan.. Thanks so much for your help!
Options