HS220 Red Wi-Fi light post firmware

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-07-03 13:56:28 - last edited 2023-08-08 08:12:28
Model: HS220  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 1.0.10

In the Kasa app I saw a firmware update available. I applied it to all of my HS220 dimmer switches. Post update they are all displaying a red WiFi light. I've tried restarting then and thus doesn't resolve it. They are connected as I can still control them in the app and with Alexa. 

I want to avoid removing each dimmer switch if po

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:HS220 Red Wi-Fi light post firmware -Solution
2023-08-08 08:12:23 - last edited 2023-08-08 08:12:28

@natrlHy @jeffm_614 Based on our analysis, we have determined that this issue is specific to this particular model, HS220 V3. If the product has not undergone a factory reset, it is possible that this problem may arise after any firmware update. However, this issue can be resolved by performing a factory reset.

If any users encounter the same problem, please refer to the Solution below.

Solution

Problem Description

HS220 V3 WiFi light turns red while all other functions remain normal.

Applied Product

HS220 V3

Solution

Factory reset the HS220 and proceed with the reconfiguration.

How to reset HS220: Press and hold RESET button (about 10 seconds) until the Wi-Fi status LED blinks amber rapidly to
factory reset the Smart Dimmer

How to set up my TP-Link Smart Plug Switch via ​​​​​​​Kasa

If this solution does not resolve the issue, please provide us with your product details (model, hardware, and firmware version), and we will assist in conducting further analysis to troubleshoot the problem.

Share Your Pet Story. Win Free Tapo Care!Smart Action 2.0 Explore and meet the next level home automation.
Recommended Solution
Options
8 Reply
Re:HS220 Red Wi-Fi light post firmware
2023-07-04 09:09:27

@natrlHy 

Red WiFi light on the HS220 indicates No WiFi Connection. Please double-check whether it can be controlled with Kasa APP remotely. If it is an abnormal  issue with the LED light display, normally it will not affect the use of the product.

Share Your Pet Story. Win Free Tapo Care!Smart Action 2.0 Explore and meet the next level home automation.
Options
2023-07-04 13:14:40

@Wayne-TP yes as mentioned it can be controlled remotely through the Kasa App. This seems to be an issue with the firmware then and should be filed as a bug and fixed. 

Options
2023-07-13 21:25:56

@Wayne-TP 

I have the same issue, Kasa app and Alexa app, and physical switch all work fine. But the solid red light bothers me. How can we fix this?

Options
2023-07-15 15:46:21

@Derek23 I don't consider it a fix, but I've had to remove the switch from the Kasa App and add it back. I have 7 HS220's so if TP-Link does things right they should come out with a new firmware to address it but don't hold your breath. 

Options
2023-07-19 09:20:04

@Derek23 What's the hardware and firmware version of your HS220?

@Derek23 @natrlHy The tech team was made aware of your issue, they will likely reach out to you via email to continue to troubleshoot your issue. Please check your email box and confirm.

To better assist with this problem, please include below information when replying to the support email.

1. A video or a picture of the switch (showing the red light)

2. Mac address of the problem switch. (Kasa APP ->Device Settings ->Device Info)

3. When did the red light appear? Did it show up immediately after the upgrade was successful, or did it appear after a certain period of normal operation?

Options
2023-07-31 12:53:53 - last edited 2023-07-31 12:54:13

TPlink,

I am having the same issue ONLY with the 3 oldest HS220 switches in my setup.  Hardware rev 3.0 and it happened when upgrading to firmware 1.0.10.  If i turn off LED status in the switch settings in the app, the red wifi led goes away. But the regular white ring when the switch is off also goes away so i do not consider this a fix. I could fully reset them and re-add them but I would like to know that someone is fixing this since its a very irresponsible update to push out.

I have newer HS220 switches that were upgraded to 1.0.10 a little while ago when they were installed, and those don't have the red light issue.  Its just the 3 that got an upgrade this past week, which is odd since 1.0.10 has been out a while now, i am not sure why it waited to update those 3 or if they were even out of date when it happened. I just saw the app notification that 3 switches needed an update so i said OK.

Options
2023-07-31 14:36:50

@jeffm_614 

So far TP-Links "fix" is to remove the device, reset it and add it back. Here is their email to

me:

Thank you very much for your valuable feedback.
Since the new firmware is to enhanced the performance of the HS220, you need to reset HS220 to let it work normally after upgrading the firmware.
It's recommended that you could remove the HS220 in Kasa App and reset it for reconfiguration, after that, the HS220 will remain normal.
If the LED is still red after you reset and reconfigure the HS220, please let us know for further troubleshooting. 

Thanks for your cooperation and understanding~

Best Regards!

I have told them this isn't a fix at all but to no surprise it falls on deaf ears and I get the same response that the above is the fix. 
Options
Re:HS220 Red Wi-Fi light post firmware -Solution
2023-08-08 08:12:23 - last edited 2023-08-08 08:12:28

@natrlHy @jeffm_614 Based on our analysis, we have determined that this issue is specific to this particular model, HS220 V3. If the product has not undergone a factory reset, it is possible that this problem may arise after any firmware update. However, this issue can be resolved by performing a factory reset.

If any users encounter the same problem, please refer to the Solution below.

Solution

Problem Description

HS220 V3 WiFi light turns red while all other functions remain normal.

Applied Product

HS220 V3

Solution

Factory reset the HS220 and proceed with the reconfiguration.

How to reset HS220: Press and hold RESET button (about 10 seconds) until the Wi-Fi status LED blinks amber rapidly to
factory reset the Smart Dimmer

How to set up my TP-Link Smart Plug Switch via ​​​​​​​Kasa

If this solution does not resolve the issue, please provide us with your product details (model, hardware, and firmware version), and we will assist in conducting further analysis to troubleshoot the problem.

Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 607

Replies: 8

Related Articles