My Kasa switch stopped working

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-07-19 13:48:26

Hi all,

I've had a Kasa switch in my office for several years and it has worked great.  The switch is attached to four 65 W recessed lights.

The other day it just stopped working, in this way: the LEDs light correctly when I push the button on the switch.  

They do the same when I use the App (which I reinstalled.) The app looks fine. The LEDs on the switch do what they should.

But the lights are stuck on. They don't come on and off. They are on all the time.

What might have happened?

Options
6 Reply
Re:My Kasa switch stopped working
2023-07-19 16:36:17

@pitosalas 

This is what I'm seeing as a common failure mode for Kasa switches.   The relay that's actually switching the load has failed.  I've had many Kasa devices fail in the exact same way.  All are availble and reporting logically they work, but none actually do.  This as the logic and wireless communication is still working but the "relay" function of actually turning on the switch/plug has failed.  Until and unless Kasa acknowledges they are using a poor switching design we'all all screwed.  Guess we'll see that they say...

Options
2023-07-19 20:18:28

Thanks! Kasa still seems to be the one recommended. Have you moved to a different brand or just replaced it? Also, are there any smart dimmers that don't require a propietary app? It would be nice to control it directly from Alaxa...

Options
2023-07-19 20:44:35

@pitosalas 

I use Feit and Kasa, my son used Leviton.  The Levitons are rock solid, the Feits are not too great about dimming and flickering, while the Kasa's failure rate over time is starting to look like a pretty time intensive mistake.  The relay function in them seems to be a very common weakness.  Cerrtainly my failure rates are not suggestive of good enginering.

Alexa can be used to manage on, off, dimming, so multt-vendor isn't that bad.  You use the apps to configure and the let alexa discover them.   You need to apps for things like custom scenes, but even then Alexa can call the scenes.

I'm about done w/Kasa.  I'll see what they say, but I'd rather pay more up front and get a quality product and support experience.  To say nothing of a warranty process that's worth something.   Feels like as each Kasa breaks (much too common) I'l replace w/Leviton and live with the mistake

YMMV of course.

Options
2023-07-21 09:08:14

@pitosalas 

Can you confirm the type of lights you are using, whether they are LED or Incandescent? Please be aware that the Kasa dimmer switch KS220 or HS220 supports a maximum load of up to 150W for LED fixtures

Regarding reported incidents of switches being unable to control devices physically, we have found that such cases are infrequent and often arise from wiring errors during initial installation. In your case, using the switch with four 60W LED lights for extended periods can lead to relay aging and possible malfunctions or damage for the smart switch.

Share Your Pet Story. Win Free Tapo Care!Smart Action 2.0 Explore and meet the next level home automation.
Options
2023-07-21 11:08:18

@Wayne-TP Thanks. I've already replaced it and discarded the old one.

Options
2023-07-26 02:30:54

@Wayne-TP 

Might want to check your logic there.  I explicitly called tech support before I purchased all my Kasa's.  I was told the LED limit is not "equivalent" wattage, but rated.   Meaning 4 "60 watt" lead bulbs is not 240 watts of load, but something like 24.  This as a 60 watt equivalent LED bulb actually uses something like 6 watts.   Meaning you can reasonably dim overhead room lights, etc.   Otherwise such a dimmer would only work with what, two 60 watt LED's?   

Options