Domain name setting for LAN side networks

2023-08-09 16:10:18 - last edited 2023-08-09 16:11:23
Model: Deco XE75 Pro  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.2.2

Using DHCP, my Windows clients work fine resolving names on my local DNS server. My Linux clients are having trouble. Looks like the problem is DHCP on the router is NOT providing local domain name via DHCP and I cannot figure out how to set it.. I MUST be able to set this value or the router is useless to me. Please help!

Options
5 Reply
Re:Domain name setting for LAN side networks
2023-08-10 06:26:31

@BradLanier 

Hi, welcome to the community.

the default local DNS server is the LAN IP of Deco, like 192.168.68.1 which does not support local DNS resolutions.

Did you have any customized DNS servers under Deco APP>More>Advanced>DHCP Server>primary/secondary DNS servers?

And Have you checked IP settings separately on the Windows devices and Linux clients whether they are using the same DNS server?

Thank you very much.

Wait for your reply.

Best regards.

Options
2023-08-10 13:57:49

@David-TP Yes, I do have custom DNS server setup.  Works fine in Windows.  Problem in Linux seems to be that DHCP on the router does not allow setting the domain name of the network.  Therefore, things don't match for DNS, and the Linux systems will not properly resolve a DNS Name on the local system.

Need to allow DHCP setting of domain name, ike every other router out there.

Options
2023-08-15 11:16:56

@BradLanier 

Hi, Thank you very much for the update. 

While I checked our Archer wireless routers, they do not allow DHCP setting of domain name either. I think you could start a feature request here and add your specific reasons so that other users with the same request would vote for support.

https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/2252

Best regards.

Options
2023-08-31 22:02:28

@BradLanier Both of your largest competitors, Netgear and Linksys, offer this capability.  Everything worked fine with my Netgear router.  PLEASE look deeper into this.

Options
2023-12-22 15:55:48

@David-TP This is a basic feature. I moved away from a 10 year old ASUS router that had the posibility to configure a local domain name.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 420

Replies: 5

Related Articles