Kasa Device won't connect to dual band WiFi network if phone is on 5GHz band

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-09-20 12:45:55 - last edited 2023-09-20 15:49:57
Model: Kasa  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Normal dual band (2.4/5 GHz) wifi AP (and mesh or router) will use the same SSID for both bands. This so a dual band client can chose which wifi band to use depending on signal strenght etc. I don't know of any modern cell phone (Android or IOS) that aren't dual band. My Pixel 5a cannont be manually steered to a particular band, can't speak for other phones.

Okay, Now the problem the Kasa setup simply will not complete if the cell phone is using the 5GHz band. Frustratingly you need to go through all the wifi network connect disconnect steps only to have the wifi hand-off to the intended network FAIL. I spent several hours attempting setup on several different Kasa devices (and on the internet) to only finally figure out this was the root of the problem. The workaround is to disable 5GHz radio on the SSID in question forcing the cell phone to use 2.4GHz. Everything worked after I finally theorized this was the problem.

Why isn't this clearly documented in help/support documents????????

I consider this to be a design flaw/bug, its a serious limitation of the product(s). I shouldn't have to muck around with my existing working and stable wifi-network in order to get your product setup.

I could (would like to) rant more, but that would require inappropriate language. Please address this serious flaw in your Kasa setup routines.

Options
2 Reply
Re:Kasa Device won't connect to dual band WiFi network if phone is on 5GHz band
2023-09-20 23:18:12

Hey  @FrustratedDude,

Thanks for the feedback. This behavior is , unfortunately, the case for most all IoT and Smart Devices, not just ours - It often happens as a result of the newer technologies being added to routers, or how your network manages your connections. IoT devices also do not contain the wireless radios necessary for a 5GHz connection, as the connection provides more than is needed and would most likely cause issues due to the far shorter range that comes with the 5Ghz Range. You will only see a 5Ghz connection on specific cameras, and still is not widely seen.

While most networks do broadcast both SSIDs and your client device chooses which to use, Mesh networks operate a bit differently, with the network (Rather than the device) working to move your devices to the best band and node.

What type of network/router were you connecting to?

This is also one of the main reasons we are seeing more IoT networks only use the 2.4Ghz band and is also the reason that you will come across a lot of users with their ioT devices on their Guest Network. (Previously, Guest NEtworks were largely limited to the 2.4Ghz band and had no opportunity to hand the device off)

I will say that the newest setup methods that are being released are far more stable and reliable than previously. All the matter and home kit devices I have recently configured have been surprisingly simple and straightforward.

Options
Re:Kasa Device won't connect to dual band WiFi network if phone is on 5GHz band
2023-09-21 02:38:41

@Riley_S 

What type of network/router were you connecting to?

Deco (M5) configured as a mesh with ethernet backhaul.

I find the 2.4/5.0 GHz with the shared SSID to be to most flexible for roaming the house and outside with the cell. Its the whole point of the mesh system, not dropping the connection because I'm roaming (locally). Covering the entire area with 5GHz would mean no backhaul for some mesh nodes, and be prohibitly expensive (at least for me). 

This may be a limitation of other devices also, but its simply not documented! I did search the internet after several devices all failed to connect in the same fashion, with no explicit answer. If I had known this limitation beforehand I might have made a different choice in SSID naming. I also fail to see why a firmware fix for this couldn't be implemented, I'm inputting the correct network SSID and password in theory the 2.4GHz (only) Kasa device shouldn't care or even know the 5GHz band exists. Additionally, its not like 5GHz WiFi is exactly new tech.

Options

Information

Helpful: 2

Views: 1051

Replies: 2

Related Articles