Hard to Understand

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Hard to Understand

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Hard to Understand
Hard to Understand
2023-09-20 21:01:56
Model: Archer A9  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.1.0 20200416 rel.72485 (5553)

Greetings Friends ~

I've owned the TP-Link AC1900 for three years now, after many years with LinkSys products which were impeccably reliable but single-band only and a bit weak in reaching the upstarirs. Something has always told me in dealing with the AC1900 dual-band that it is a very high-quality product;however, I find it hard to understand as contrasted to all the other tech products I've owned.

For example, I cannot find anywhere how to change the login password and user name for the router (or even learn what the user name is); consequently it appears that from a security perspective even where one goes into the advanced section of the program to change the passwords for both the 2G and the 5G wireless bands, there is no security benefit because the simple manufacturer's password sitting on the Wi-Fi Info card which came with the router is also just sitting there on the browser when one logs into the router program. That can't possibly be good security, unless I am missing something.

The router unilaterally and without warning dumped all its passwords a few days ago and tossed us offline; fortunately the maker's password got us back in but had a User Name been required it would have been necessary to discard the TP-Link and purchase a whole new router. Expensive! 

The other mystery is the 2G and 5G capability. I never used but the 2G and on trying both both bands through Smart Connect today the router began refusing to permit all our supported devices back in, firing up countless flags saying that nearby networks were getting in the way. Apparently those belong to the neighbors, so - back to 2G only. Very strange, difficiult to navigate. Too plenty of time to get our devices us back on.   

Perhaps someoen could school me a bit. Too, any tips on the best security choices for tablets and phones would be massively appreciated.

Thank you so very much for any and all consideration!  

Options
3 Reply
Re:Hard to Understand
2023-09-20 21:45:21

@LinkFan 

go to advance/system tools/administration to change the router password.

I do do use smart connect as it limits my control over my network. I use different ssids and passwords for each band so I can control which device connects to what band. Generally 2.4 will give you more distance but tends to be have a lot of others on it. The 5 band will most times give you more speed but less distance. In your wireless settings you should be able to change channels and such to avoid conflict with others. 

Options
Re:Hard to Understand
2023-09-22 16:32:43

@ArcherC8

Thank you very much for your speedy and informative response. I learned much and now feel more comfortable. Notwithstanding my slow uptake in understandign the management program for the router, it is clearly a well-made and effective device, which I intend to continue using.

I see in examining the Administration and the Wireless security areas that there is no User Name entry relevant to use of the AC1900. That seems a bit unusual, but I'll assume I am right in inferring it is irrelevant to proper use and management.

I thank you again very much for your time and consideration!

Options
Request for Education on Wireless Settings
2023-10-13 19:49:50

@LinkFan 
Greetin

Greetings Friends - I am hoping someone can educate me a bit regarding Wireless-Wireless Settings in the AC1900 router control program.

I have an iPad which consistently announces that I have “Weak Security” in my Wi-Fi source. It expands on that to explain that “WPA/WPA2 (TKIP) is not considered secure. If this is your WI-Fi network, configure the router to use WPA 2 (AES) or WPA 3 security type.”  

This initially troubled me, but I see nothing the AC 1900 control program indication TKIP is in use. However, Wireless-Wireless Settings I have AUTO selected in “Version” versus either WPA-PSK or WPAs-PSK. Analogously, I have AUTO selected in Encryption versus TKIP or AES. The reason for my AUTO selection is that recently I switched to WPA2-PSK in Version and to AES in Encryption. These choices were highg-order mistakes, as soon after I did that, the internet connection broke down several times – a genuine misery; clearly the router wanted AUTO and AUTO, which resettled my internet connection.

Am I correct in presuming AUTO and AUTO are selecting the best security for my router and not using the deprecated TKIP? And: are AUTO and AUTO flipping around to different settings depending on what they choose in response to any given situation? Or, is their functioning static?

I thank you sincerely for any consideration. This community board has been vital for me in understanding what I believe is an outstanding router.

Respectfully,

LinkFan   

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 193

Replies: 3

Related Articles