Do I have the wrong smart switch?

2023-11-15 15:04:55
Model: HS200  
Hardware Version: V5
Firmware Version: 1.0.11

I have 2 smart bulbs that I would like to control from the HS200 switch, but I think I am misunderstanding its function. According to my research, it provides constant power to the bulbs allowing me to still give voice commands, but it seems that it actually terminates the power to the bulbs entirely making it no different than the regular switch that was there before.

All I want is to be able to use voice control to turn my lights on and off, as well as change color and dimness (is that a word?), however, I want to maintain the ability to flip a switch to turn the bulbs on and off. Sometimes I want to use the switch, like when I'm leaving the room, other times I want to use my voice, like when I'm lying in bed. Essentially the switch should act as a remote that send a command too the light bulbs to turn off/on without terminating power to the bulbs.

If this smart switch does not provide this functionality, does anyone know which one does?

Options
1 Reply
Re:Do I have the wrong smart switch?
2023-11-16 01:56:38 - last edited 2023-11-16 01:56:48

@Conzo427,

Any type of smart switch that wires into your wall is meant to control the attached device by fluctuating the power - not that it is a remote to control other smart devices in your home (although this can be configured via Smart Actions). Any commands for your bulbs will have to be sent separately from the switch entirely, through whatever service they use.

What you are looking for is more along the lines of the Tapo S200D: https://www.tapo.com/us/product/smart-switch/tapo-s200d/ which is a Dimmer Button that you can mount to your wall like a switch and can dim lights, and trigger scenes.

In case you did not know, the Tapo app supports adding Kasa devices, so if your smart bulbs are Tapo or Kasa branded, the S200D should work for you.

Options