Kasa HS220 and HS200 disconnect from the network every few minutes if internet access is blocked

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Kasa HS220 and HS200 disconnect from the network every few minutes if internet access is blocked

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-11-24 19:07:56
Tags: #Dimmer #networking
Model: Kasa HS220  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 1.0.10 Build 230427 Rel.165239

I have several HS220 and HS200 switches around the home. For security reasons, I blocked their access to the internet using a firewall rule on my router. However, after doing so, these switches kept dropping from my LAN every few minutes, and they requested a new DHCP lease.

I want to clarify that this issue is NOT related to WIFI, as I have already checked my WIFI router, and the devices are not losing their AP association. Instead, it seems to be a firmware problem. If the device fails to connect to the Internet, it will reset the networking every few minutes.

I noticed this by watching the DHCP leases section of my router to see that these devices will drop their active IP address and try to reconnect.

If I removed my firewall rule, allowing access to the internet, this issue would not have happened. But I do not want my light switches to be connected to the internet 24/7.

I’m considering returning these and looking for alternative brands that work well locally. I just wanted to mention it here so that if someone reaches this by search, they know what is going on.

If anyone else can confirm this or offer any solutions, that would be great. However, I doubt there can be a solution without a firmware fix.

Options
1 Reply
Re:Kasa HS220 and HS200 disconnect from the network every few minutes if internet access is blocked
2023-11-26 04:49:24

There seems to be a beta firmware that will fix this here: https://community.tp-link.com/en/smart-home/forum/topic/636288

Options