Flawed 3-Way Switch & Support

2023-12-07 14:11:58
Model: HS210  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version:

Bought a single HS 210 for a 3-way switch, read all the reviews about whether you need one or two, from what I gathered one should work. Wired properly, both the HS 210 & dummy switches work manually.The issue came with turning on through app and scheduling, 1-2 seconds after you turn on the app shows as off and fixture stays on, you can shut off manually or through the app. The second issue comes with scheduling, with the on command the fixture turns on as expected but shows off in app after 1-2 seconds, this essentially disables the app from turning the fixture off since it thinks the fixture is off it does not send the off command. The final issue came with tech support, tried to chat, that was nearly impossible, long delays between chat and they sent me links to reset which did not work,. I then called, had to call twice, I won't get into all the details but the phone support is disastrous, they spent 25 mins going trough standard line of questioning then they want to finish the rest of support via e-mail, they don't respond right away to e-mail waiting now for 18 hours nothing yet. Have other tp-link single pole switches and wi-fi devices that work without an issue, super disappointed in the 3-way switch. I've read other posts abpiut this but no real fixes, lots of maybes.

Options
12 Reply
Re:Flawed 3-Way Switch & Support
2023-12-07 17:16:35
Just a stab in the dark. I recently installed a 210Kit (switches for both ends) and almost made the mistake of putting the "master switch"(power line in...requires the neutral hookup) in the "satellite"(Out to Light or load) location and vice versa. You may want to make sure that the 210 is connected to the location that contains the line and your "dummy" switch is on the load out to light bulb.
Options
2023-12-07 20:44:18
Thanks, ya I installed it in the right location, very frustration that their support team can make any suggestions for fixes, sems like several people experienced this looking at past posts.
Options
2023-12-07 23:02:23

@JoeGee I hear ya.  Can be super frustrating. 

Good luck with finding the solution!

Options
2023-12-08 12:54:33

@JD-Matter It's been 2 days, no response, I bought the Leviton wi-fi switches, arrive tomorrow, hopefully they work correctly

Options
2023-12-08 15:30:20

@JoeGee I'd be interested in hearing about the Leviton switches after you get them up and running.

Options
2023-12-09 17:40:32

@JD-Matter  installed the Leviton D215S & DDOSR-1Z (companion) today, installation went perfectly. I called Leviton before the switches arrived to confirm my wiring and which device goes where, they answered immediately, they were knowledgeable and gave accurate and clear direction. The scheduling works perfectly. As a sidenote still haven't heard back from tp-link.

Options
2023-12-11 16:28:32

@JoeGee Awesome to hear about the new Leviton switches and glad you had an easy install.  I'll keep them in mind for future installations.

Options
2024-04-28 21:25:38

@JoeGee   Okay you confirmed that I have the same problem. I have the kasza 210 3way with same issue.

I bought a 2 smart switch combo but only used one on the line side, and kept the dummy on the load side.

Every thing works fine but the switch does not retain the status of the light. So, of course you cannot control it in a schedule or event because that status problem.

I didn't bother programming it.

When the light is on, I ask Alexa the status and it says it's off.  When I turn it on by the switch or by Kasa app, the correct status holds for about 10 seconds

Options
2024-04-28 21:44:34

@MeBillyd yep, same issue I had, I ended up installing the Leviton D215S & DDOSR-1Z (companion) back in Dec, it's been flawless, I called Leviton support prior to buying and they were fantastic, best of luck

Options
2024-04-28 23:33:06

@JoeGee   I have one more work around test to perform, to deal with these Broken HS210 (They don't hold status).  I created an automation going off a motion sensor in my garage.

In Alexa app,  I am calling on Motion Detection to turn on for motion detect.  Action  > I was going to set Alexa to Toggle  >, but I could not always guarantee it would be in the correct mode. So I set to ON, and then I add one more Action > I just repeat ON.

I am doing the same thing for Off.    From 8pm to 7am,  if no detection for 30min  > 1st action > Off;  2nd Action Off.

I am supprised they have not fixed this issue.   How does one know if they are working on this problem??? Hello TECH support > Do you monitor these fourms?

I have 15 days before I need to return these back to Amazon.  

So, far I have never had these types of issues with the KASA TP  Matter single pole switches. KS205 and KS225.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 373

Replies: 12

Related Articles