HS210 in 2nd position, dumb 3-way w/dimmer in 1st position, works but status in app is backwards

HS210 in 2nd position, dumb 3-way w/dimmer in 1st position, works but status in app is backwards

2024-02-07 18:25:59
Model: HS210  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 1.0.9

I have a 3-way circuit controlling my living room lights.  There is a "dumb" dimmer switch (Lutron Diva LED+ dimmer) in the first position (the box with the hot line/load wire when both the switches are disconnected).  I have an HS210 in the second position.  Both manual switches control the lights properly.  However, the status of the switch is backwards in the app.  The app indicates the lights are off when they are actually on.  Likewise, the app indicates the lights are on when they actually are off.  I can turn the lights on and off through the app but the status in the app is always the opposite of what the lights are actually doing.  I tried deleting and re-adding the smart switch in the Kasa app but that did not help.   What should I try next?

Options
2 Reply
Re:HS210 in 2nd position, dumb 3-way w/dimmer in 1st position, works but status in app is backwards
2024-02-08 19:12:02

@SFKeith,

This is one of the reasons that we recommend using a kit instead of replacing one device, as there is a sync and troubleshooting feature when using the 3-way kit.

It is odd that they completely switch places, almost as if there is an issue with the wiring between the two devices. Normally, when the app does not follow the state, it is a result of either wiring problems, or it may occur if the traveler wire between the two switches is too long.

You may think to provide a diagram of your wiring and switches. It may be something as simple as need to place the HS210 in the other box.

Otherwise, I would recommend taking a look around the forums and some other communities as there have been a few users detailing what they have done. 

Options
Re:HS210 in 2nd position, dumb 3-way w/dimmer in 1st position, works but status in app is backwards
2024-02-08 20:17:03

@Riley_S Thanks, Riley. 

The situation has improved.  I did the following:

• Removed the switch from the app
  • Turned-off power at the circuit breaker
  • Turned-on power at the circuit breaker
  • Add the switch back to the app

Now, when the lights are off and the Lutron Diva "dumb" dimmer is at maximum brightness:

• I can control the lights from the app and the status in the app is correct (good)
  • If I turn the Lutron Diva switch on or off the status of the lights in the app does not change (bad but tolerable)

When the lights are off and the Lutron Diva "dumb" dimmer is at minimum brightness:

• The 1st switch of the lights in the app causes the status to indicate the lights are on but the lights are still off
  • The 2nd switch of the lights in the app causes the lights to turn on and the app status still indicates the lights are on
  • The 3rd switch of the lights in the apps causes the lights to turn off and the app status indicates the lights are off

This is actually good enough for my purposes since I intend to have the lights at full brightness on a schedule.  I confirmed that the Kasa scheduler does reliably turn the lights on or off when the Lutron dimmer is at maximum brightness.

I considered buying a Kasa smart 3way dimmer pair of switches but I'm happy with my Lutron dimmer and I noted on Amazon that the Kasa 3way dimmers are often returned.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 106

Replies: 2

Related Articles