Packet loss even with new RMA unit

3 weeks ago
Model: Archer AX21  
Hardware Version: V4
Firmware Version: 1.0.25 latest

I have submitted a support ticket but I was hoping the community can respond faster or help me trouble shoot. I have the TP-Link Archer AX21 router and the Netgear CM1000v2 modem. I have Xfinity as my provider. I recently just got a new line installed from the street and a new line in my house so that is all good. I noticed packet loss (games will say latency variation) so I investigated further with ping plotter. I was losing a large amount of packets on hop1 which has to do with my local network aka my router. Before anyone asks yes I have tried multiple different high quality Ethernet cables. When I plug directly into modem I receive no packet loss and everything is fine and when I connected an old router I also received no packet loss (I did start to receive packet loss with old router as well once I restarted the modem recently today). Well everything was working with old router until I tried same RMA model they sent me and once again packet loss. Somehow this now has made the old router also not work and have packet loss. I have gone through all the network configurations I can think of. While I did do static IP addresses it didn't work but I would also prefer to get dynamic working anyways because that is what Xfinity recommends. I have also of course tried on multiple devices. 

So I'm at a point where I have tried everything and since I used the new model now my old router also has crazy packet loss. I'll attach some ping-plotter pictures to help show the issue. I am at a point however where I do not think it is a hardware Issue and it is either the way the network is configure which might include ho Xifinty is automatically assigning me IP's.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Options
3 Reply
Re:Packet loss even with new RMA unit
3 weeks ago - last edited 3 weeks ago

@-haering_360 

If you are using QoS, turn it off. Do not use a VPN. Use separate WIFI addresses. 

I would recheck the Xfinity lines and connections. Are they also providing cable TV? If so, check those connections and remove any dead drops (lines with nothing on them).

Separate power lines from ethernet lines. 

Also try removing devices to see if one of them is causing an issue,

Be sure you are using the correct power adapter for the router. 

Options
2 weeks ago

@ArcherC8  NO Qos (or an priority devices). No VPN. I have tried WiFi with no luck but the priority is to get it working over Ethernet of course. 

Double checked Xfinity lines are good (reminder everything is also brand new lines and checked). Only one box and have tried it on/off and disconnected. 

Power lines are not near Ethernet lines to cause disruption. 

I have tried with only one device on and multiple devices. I have used different devices for testing etc.

Power adapter that I comes with the router is being used. 

I will be talking to an engineer tomorrow. I have pretty much feel i have it narrowed down to either network configuration or Netgear modem not wanting to co-operate well with specific router model. 

When it also comes to network configuration I have tried many different things. 

Simply put i have ruled out all the basic things. 

Reminder no packet loss connected directly modem and an old router works just fine as well. Seems for some reason only the AX 21 doesn't wanna work likely network config. I have also of course tried rolling back firmware etc. 

Hopefully the engineer can help tomorrow! 

Options
2 weeks ago

@-haering_360 Not sure exactly what did it but I was correct it had something to do with netowrk configuration. After Disbaling some features the engineer got it to work with 0% packet loss. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 105

Replies: 3

Related Articles