Led lights started flashing at mid-power setting

2 weeks ago - last edited 2 weeks ago
Tags: #Dimmer #flashing
Model: HS220  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 1.0.10

I have 6 overhead LED lights connected to the HS220.   These have been working fine for a couple of months, except for an occasional, momentary bright "flash".

The lights go to full power for a fraction of a second randomly, maybe once avery few days. 

After a recent power outage, all the lights connected to this switch started flashing. This only happens in the "middle range" of dimming.   The lights work fine at very low dimmer setting, and at (and close to) full brightness.  To be clear, the power outage impacted the entire house, but the problem manifested on this one particular switch only. This happens to be the oldest ( first) tp-link switch I installed on this floor.

Before tearing the installation apart, and looking for a bad light, or wiring probllem,  I tried a factory reset and a wifi reset of the switch. This seems to have cured the problem, and the switch works fine again.   But I am worried about this problem coming back for no obvious reason. When it does , it makes the installation unusable. Is this a known problem, with a rational explanation? Should I replace this switch?  I would like to understand this problem and act rationally. 

I recall reading some complaints that this problem occurs, and gets worse ( more frequent reset  needed) over time.   I was thinking of trying different brand lights, although the evidence, such as it is, seems to point to the switch firmware.   i really like the tp-link acosystem, esp. using Kasa 

i have a whole bunch of various tp-link switches ands plugs, single pole and 3 way, so it woudl be non-trivial money to switch to a different brand, but then again dealing with something flakey takes all the joy out of the whole smart house experience. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 35

Replies: 0

Tags

Dimmer
flashing
Related Articles