Some single and dimmer switches connect to Wi-Fi and some do not. HS200 and

Wednesday - last edited Wednesday
Tags: #Dimmer #Single Pole, 3-Wi-Fi, Connection
Model: Kasa HS200  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version:

Rather than making 2 posts I put both issues in one thread since they have the same issues.

I need a clear explanation as what is happening please and how to correct it because it doesn't seem to make logical sense.

First off, I am not a novice to TP-Link link and Kasa products. I have several single pole, 3-way, dimmer switches and pugs throughout my home that installed flawlessly over the years. I would say I 12 to 14 of these products. On Sunday, 9-29-24, I installed a new single pole switch that went flawless. Up and running within minutes. I then went to install two more single pole switches, not far from that switch and also closer to the Wi-Fi, and neither would find the network. The Kasa app sees them but they fail when attempting to connect to the Wi-Fi. Resetting and all the other suggestions do not work. So, I decided to install a 3-way switch in their place they connected flawlessly. So what is happening here? A single pole installs flawlessly but 2 other single pole do not and 3-ways install flawlessly.

I have also tried 3 different dimmer switches to replace one toggle switch which is within 10 feet of the single pole switch I installed on Saturday, and within 5 feet of another dimmer switch and all 3 will not connect to the Wi-Fi. I can use those dimmer switches to turn on/off the light and dim the light, but all fail to connect to the Wi-Fi.  This is the same scenario with the single pole switches. They will not connect to the Wi-Fi but will turn on/off the lights.

I can install a 3-way switch in place of the dimmer and single pole switches and there no issue at all connecting to the network.

I had issues a couple weeks ago trying to get a dimmer switch to connect to the Wi-Fi, which was only 10 feet away from the Wi-Fi and I could not get it to connect. After hours of trying a couple other dimmer switches, I gave and installed a 3-way switch in its place and it connect flawlessly. 

So why are 3-way switches installing with no issues but most of the single and dimmer switches have issues connecting when other do not? My first thought is that they were duds. So, I ordered more Switches on Monday. They arrived Tuesday and this morning, Wednesday, I installed a brand new single pole and dimmer switch right out of the box and ran into the same issue. They will turn on/off and dim the light and the Kasa app sees them but they will not connect to the Wi-Fi. I just cannot believe they are all duds.

You ask for the Hardware and Firmware versions but how do you obtain those if they are not connected to the Wi-Fi because the Kasa app will not see the switches?

The single pole switch I installed Sunday that does work, has a HW Version of 3.0 and FW Version of 1.1.5. Within the Kasa app, the firmware for all connected devices is up to date. I checked that before post this issue.

I need to find the solution. Our kitchen table is littered with about 5 or 6 switches that I know cannot be bad. Plus, I have 3 other switches still in the box which
I am 100% confident they will not work either.

Note:

- I do not have a limitation on connected devices, which has been proven because I can use a 3-way switch in place of a switch that will not connect and that 3-way will connect to the Wi-Fi flawlessly.

- I do not have a VPN on my phone and I have had no issues connect 3-ways or some single pole switches.

- The switch that is furthest away from the Wi-Fi is the single pole installed on Saturday and it installed and connected flawlessly.

Why is it the 3-way switches install flawlessly but the others do not? Is it the built-in network settings? Can these setting be changed through the Kasa app? What is the Wi-Fi connection differences between the HS200 (single pole), HS210 (3-way) and HS220 (dimmer)?

To save a headache, I can use 3-ways in place of a single pole. The cost is negligible but the dimmers need to work.

Thanks.

M.

Update: 10-02-2024 @ 4:33pm est. 

I have completly turned off the firewall, rebooted the router and still cannot connect the dimmer switch. i has also factory reset the switch sever times.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 31

Replies: 0

Tags

Dimmer
Single Pole, 3-Wi-Fi, Connection
Related Articles