My tp-link Smart Wi-Fi 6-Outlet Power Strip Loses its Settings Every Other Day

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-07-08 14:19:03 - last edited 2023-07-08 14:20:17
Tags: #Device Forgets Configuration
Model: HS300  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.21

This tp-link power strip worked with no problems for almost two years.

A few days ago, it suddenly lost its settings and began to flash green and orange with all sockets enabled. 

I unplugged it. Waited. I plugged it in. 

The Kasa app could not associate the power strip's previous setup with the device. All was grayed out.  

I removed the old instances in the app and went through the device setup process.

The Kasa app saw and could control the power strip and its plugs individually once again. Then I added the power strip back into Google and Amazon ecosystems.

The next day, the power strip flashed green and orange with all sockets enabled again. sad

I set it up again to access so I could provide you the Hardware and Firmware versions above, but we obviously can't go through this every other day.

It seems the device has a defect now. I have not changed any of my routers or network devices.

Q: Is it common for these power strips to only last 16 to 18 months, or did I draw the short straw? wink

Q: Is there anything that we can do to redeem this device and continue using it?

Thoughts and good ideas are most welcome.

Thanks! Mike

Options
3 Reply
Re:My tp-link Smart Wi-Fi 6-Outlet Power Strip Loses its Settings Every Other Day
2023-07-11 03:06:16

@MikeStrong 

What devices have you connected to this power strip? Please provide the models and power information of the connected devices here.

Have there been any recent updates to this HS300 or Kasa APP?

Try to factory reset the device and reconnect it to the Kasa APP. Then do NOT enable any settings (schedule, smart action, etc) or connect it to Google and Alexa. Monitor whether the issue persists.

In addition, you may also try to Not connect any appliances. Observe if the issue reoccurs when no devices are connected and no third-party software is associated.

Landscape Mode - Tapo App for PadShare Your Pet Story. Win Free Tapo Care!Smart Action 2.0 Explore and meet the next level home automation.
Options
Re:My tp-link Smart Wi-Fi 6-Outlet Power Strip Loses its Settings Every Other Day
2023-07-11 03:15:39

@Wayne-TP Thank you for responding!

I had a lamp plugged into one plug and had named it "left sofa lamp" in the 3rd part systems like Amazon and Google.

The other plugs were used for different things, including one to turn on a Christmas tree, etc.

I reset it and set it up again, and I have it here in my office with nothing plugged into it.  I have not configured it with any 3rd party systems this time.  So, far it seems to be solid.

It is fine again with nothing plugged in and without getting associated with routines or smart home systems.

What are your thoughts?

Mike

Options
2023-07-13 03:36:40

@MikeStrong 

It's not a device hardware issue if it is normal on its default status. Try to perform the following tests one by one to locate the cause. 

1. Plugin the appliances. No extra settings in Kasa APP. No 3rd party system connection.

2. Plugin the appliances. Add settings in Kasa APP. No 3rd party system connection.

3. Plugin the appliances. Add settings in Kasa APP. Link Kasa with ONE 3rd party service first, Alexa or Google. If nothing happens, link another one. 

Given the previous daily occurrence of the issue, I recommend testing each configuration for a day to determine if the automatic reset problem still arises.

Landscape Mode - Tapo App for PadShare Your Pet Story. Win Free Tapo Care!Smart Action 2.0 Explore and meet the next level home automation.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 622

Replies: 3

Tags

Device Forgets Configuration
Related Articles