blocking social networks

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

blocking social networks

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
blocking social networks
blocking social networks
2023-07-05 00:12:17 - last edited 2023-09-05 06:40:54
Tags: #web filtering
Model: ER605 (TL-R605)  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 2.1.2

Hello,

Is it possible to activate the blocking of twitter, facebook and tiktok cell phone applications on the ER605 firewall?

For web filtering, is it also possible to program activation and deactivation at certain times of the day?

We're looking for a solution for blocking social networking applications during working hours on computers and phones.

I've tried keyword filtering, but Facebook, Twitter and Tiktok are not blocked on phones.

If you have any solutions for filtering applications on the phone and programming the activation of filtering, please let me know.

Sincerely

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:blocking social networks-Solution
2023-07-05 03:03:58 - last edited 2023-09-05 06:40:54

Hi @Ladji87

To implement this, I can point you to the right way. But I am not able to guarantee this will apply to your network and filter everything as expected.

Functions needed: web filter

Possible feature needed: DNS server

Web filtering can be helpful in stopping access to matching domain names. But for the app, that's a different story.

If you want to block the apps effectively, you probably should seek help from a DNS server that can help you block the entire access.

Web filtering requires you to list wildcards in a certain format. Refer to the picture below.

If you struggle to block the apps, you should consider the DNS server as a supplementary tool for the apps. Famous ad-blocking or media-blocking servers like Pi-Hole or Adguard can be helpful in blocking the apps. As we don't have the first-hand database on the list of their IPs or domains which require frequent updates because their servers change or load balance to different IPs.

e.g: https://www.vedbex.com/subdomain-finder/tiktok.com

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Beta firmware got some NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Recommended Solution
Options
1 Reply
Re:blocking social networks-Solution
2023-07-05 03:03:58 - last edited 2023-09-05 06:40:54

Hi @Ladji87

To implement this, I can point you to the right way. But I am not able to guarantee this will apply to your network and filter everything as expected.

Functions needed: web filter

Possible feature needed: DNS server

Web filtering can be helpful in stopping access to matching domain names. But for the app, that's a different story.

If you want to block the apps effectively, you probably should seek help from a DNS server that can help you block the entire access.

Web filtering requires you to list wildcards in a certain format. Refer to the picture below.

If you struggle to block the apps, you should consider the DNS server as a supplementary tool for the apps. Famous ad-blocking or media-blocking servers like Pi-Hole or Adguard can be helpful in blocking the apps. As we don't have the first-hand database on the list of their IPs or domains which require frequent updates because their servers change or load balance to different IPs.

e.g: https://www.vedbex.com/subdomain-finder/tiktok.com

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Beta firmware got some NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 305

Replies: 1

Tags

web filtering
Related Articles