help with mesh network and captive portal/social login

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

help with mesh network and captive portal/social login

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
30 Reply
Re:help with mesh network and captive portal/social login
2023-11-24 20:17:54

@d0ugmac1 

thanks a lot, i'll give an eyes to meraki and ubiquity also

Options
2023-11-24 20:41:59 - last edited 2023-11-24 20:42:23

TPlink $

Ubiquiti $$

Meraki $$$ (rental model)

<< Paying it forward, one juicy problem at a time... >>
Options
2023-11-25 09:02:25

@d0ugmac1 

i see meraki is probabli too $$

Ubiquity seems ok, in what exactly is better? Hardware or software management?

Options
2023-11-25 13:50:02

@stefanocps 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JYEbbFbpjo 

For detailed logging you would log user events via a syslog server and then postprocess that.  Probably beyond what you want to take on though.

Options
2023-11-25 15:41:06 - last edited 2023-11-25 15:41:28

@d0ugmac1 

i gave a quick look. Cannot compare it properly to omada which also i gave a quick overview

As you said the main things we want with this wifi is to give a reliable access to customers (and workers of course) without black spot, or interruption of service, or trouble for logging.It must be all flawless, and also don't need such a big speed,we are In a big capital, Roma and there is full 5g coverage

The real deal would have been to give the social feature, the like on page to register(or similar), but i see  it is not possible as facebook disable it, various producers have told me that. I have found a portal software builder who, however, tell me that they can do it for faceboo.i don't know how at this point!

Don't really need much more, software speaking.i don't think noone will go to check stats, analysys etc,they are too busy with the restaurant.

Having the customer email could be good for mailing..but again, i really need small thing from management software. Just good hardware, good coverage and service continuity

Options
Re:help with mesh network and captive portal/social login-Solution
2023-11-25 16:30:15 - last edited 2023-11-25 16:50:25

@stefanocps 

Omada can do a basic hospitality deployment cheaply and without issue, I'd focus on the hardware install and setup.  You can get fancy later with portals and splash pages.

Your biggest issue, being in a very dense euro city, will be the amount of competing wireless networks in the area.  Wifi is unregulated and there are no rules on who can have how many, where they put them, what channels they are on etc.  You might consider only making Guest access on the 5.8G channels for fewer complaints and I would be very careful if you are using wireless payment terminals that only run on 2.4G...you may have to add some extra APs to 'drown out' competing signals from nearby neighbours.  Pay attention to your frequency plan and channel widths.  I would highly recommend forcing the APs to use the narrowest channel possible, especially the 2.4G band (ie fix at 20Mhz).  I would also consider doing your own manual frequency plan using the 1,6 and 11 channels only in 2.4G band...you know you're going to have interference from the surrounding area, might as well not interfere with yourself right!  Google it!  Based on your physical AP placement in the restaurant, have a look at the design on the left side below (right side would be more 5.8G channels, but not sure if this diagram was for EU or not)

Recommended Solution
Options
2023-11-27 12:51:11

one more questions

I might need to have 2 wifi, one for guest one for workers.

These ap i was suggested

EAP610, EAP245, EAP235,AP225 

all support 2 ssid at least?so that one can be addressed to a portal (guest wifi) and the other normal( or just another) type of authentication?

Options
2023-11-27 13:56:24
Absolutely, all of them can support multiple SSIDs. You can assign portals on a per SSID basis. The 200 series units are often ~30% cheaper than their 600 series equivalent and in your case, coverage is more important than extreme performance.
Options
2023-11-27 14:50:28 - last edited 2023-11-27 14:55:27

@d0ugmac1 

that's good to know

so what is meant for extreme performance then?it is true that for me coverage is probaly main thing

p.s.

i was checking with attention the ubiquiti system,,and  i am realizng that ap's + poe switch  + may a router than the price is enough more than the tplink, and i don't if that amount is worthy, given the fact that coverage is the main pourpose, and for the use  i need in general

In this way i have more budget to invest to some captive portal solution, to gather datas for some kind of marketing

Options
2023-11-27 14:59:31
Honestly, I don't even think 'extreme' performance is going to be an option in Rome...so why pay for something you aren't ever going to benefit from (ie AX vs AC). Same for the HD units...you just won't have the users/AP to justify that either. The one thing the 610 ceiling APs have going for them is smaller size over the 225/245 design. The 615-wall is capable of fast roaming and the 235-wall not so much...if I recall...which would be important for you. Let me know what your planned form factor/mix is between ceiling/wall/outdoor APs and I'll double check the feature sets.
Options
Related Articles