DNS failures when there are 2 wan

2024-02-08 01:19:09 - last edited a week ago
Model: ER605 (TL-R605)  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 2.2.4

Hello, I have relative knowledge of networks but there is something that I do not understand and if there is someone who understands why this happens, please help me and thank you in advance. I have 2 Wans from different providers and both are always connected but DNS 1.1.1.1 goes through the Wan. 1 and dns 8.8.8.8 goes through wan 2 and I don't understand why if the router mode is in backup and that shouldn't happen. When wan 2 fails, so does dns 8.8.8.8 and whoever uses that dns is offline 

WAN1=200.8.16.1

WAN2=10.110.0.1

All of them should only go through the main wan, that is, wan2, but dns 8.8.8.8 does not do so.  

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:DNS failures when there are 2 wan -Solution
a week ago - last edited a week ago

@Clive_A Sorry for not updating in time. I don't know if it is a problem but when the dns that use or are configured on the side of the wan, said dns is anchored to that wan. Example: If I configure or my isp gives me dns 8.8.8.8 on wan 1 and said wan goes down The balancer will begin to divert packets to wan 2 but dns 8.8.8.8 will not. That one will continue trying to go through wan 1. In my case the solution was to change the DNS of the wan to one that I do not use on my network. Sorry if there are any translation errors  

Recommended Solution
Options
14 Reply
Re:DNS failures when there are 2 wan
2024-02-08 01:57:57 - last edited 2024-02-08 02:00:50

@Josvell 

Is this an unmodified routing table?

Btw, how do you get this result? Wireshark?

ScReW yOu gUyS. I aM GOinG hoMe. —————————————————————— For heaven's sake, can you write and describe your issue based on plain fact, common logic and a methodologic approach? Appreciate it.
Options
2024-02-08 12:46:19 - last edited 2024-02-08 17:40:37

@Tedd404 It is the unmodified routing table. Everything you see there was done by the er605 automatically. When I remove wan1 (I disconnect it) the routing table is automatically modified and 8.8.8.8 goes from wa1 to wan2 as it should.   

I determined this failure because I keep a PC pinging 8.8.8.8 -ta both dns and when it caused a failure in wan1 that dns stops working until I physically disconnect wan1  

Options
2024-02-09 16:44:05

@Josvell I update a little information. Today I decided to restore the factory settings of the er605 and test if the dns changed when one of the two wans failed and what a surprise. Exactly the same thing happens, sometimes there are dns that get stuck. When the main wan fails, the er605 must resend everything through the backup wan and this is the case of dns 1.1.1.1 but dns 8.8.8.8 gets stuck in the main wan and although detect that this drop does not change. The rest of the dns work fine. When the main wan fails the dns stop responding for a few seconds and have ping again seconds later. But the dns 8.8.8.8 never changes. I performed a traceroute to 8.8.8.8 and they stuck at the ip of my main wan and did not wants to change to the backup wan Configuration is discarded on my part since I reset the er605 from the factory 

Options
2024-02-10 00:42:03

@Josvell 

Since those aren't your ISP DNS servers, where did you configure those DNS server IPs...i.e. in the LAN subnet(s)?

You should also be able to create Policy Routing rules to force say 8.8.8.8/32 via WAN1 (but tick the box for failover) and a similar policy for 1.1.1.1/32 via WAN2.

Something like this, where 'Special' is 8.8.8.8

<< Paying it forward, one juicy problem at a time... >>
Options
2024-02-11 12:34:33

@Josvell 

Josvell wrote

@Tedd404 It is the unmodified routing table. Everything you see there was done by the er605 automatically. When I remove wan1 (I disconnect it) the routing table is automatically modified and 8.8.8.8 goes from wa1 to wan2 as it should.   

I determined this failure because I keep a PC pinging 8.8.8.8 -ta both dns and when it caused a failure in wan1 that dns stops working until I physically disconnect wan1  

Still curious about how you verified it. Does not seem to relate and make sense to me. Ping does not make sense but test the backup integrity.

How does it verdict your dns? What and why they relate?

ScReW yOu gUyS. I aM GOinG hoMe. —————————————————————— For heaven's sake, can you write and describe your issue based on plain fact, common logic and a methodologic approach? Appreciate it.
Options
2024-02-18 00:58:06

Hi @Josvell 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

Is there an update to your verification process? Please paste some screenshots and other information you think might help.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Beta firmware got some NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Options
Re:DNS failures when there are 2 wan -Solution
a week ago - last edited a week ago

@Clive_A Sorry for not updating in time. I don't know if it is a problem but when the dns that use or are configured on the side of the wan, said dns is anchored to that wan. Example: If I configure or my isp gives me dns 8.8.8.8 on wan 1 and said wan goes down The balancer will begin to divert packets to wan 2 but dns 8.8.8.8 will not. That one will continue trying to go through wan 1. In my case the solution was to change the DNS of the wan to one that I do not use on my network. Sorry if there are any translation errors  

Recommended Solution
Options
a week ago

@Josvell 

Thanks for sharing!  Could be an important bug fix if verified.

<< Paying it forward, one juicy problem at a time... >>
Options
a week ago

@JosvellLA  It's on my secondary account and I had to respond because this account was having problems. but I'm writing my answer here again 

@Clive_A  Sorry for not updating in time. I don't know if it is a problem but when the dns that use or are configured on the side of the wan, said dns is anchored to that wan. Example: If I configure or my isp gives me dns 8.8.8.8 on wan 1 and said wan goes down The balancer will begin to divert packets to wan 2 but dns 8.8.8.8 will not. That one will continue trying to go through wan 1. In my case the solution was to change the DNS of the wan to one that I do not use on my network. Sorry if there are any translation errors .  

Options
a week ago

Hi @Josvell 

Josvell wrote

@JosvellLA  It's on my secondary account and I had to respond because this account was having problems. but I'm writing my answer here again 

@Clive_A  Sorry for not updating in time. I don't know if it is a problem but when the dns that use or are configured on the side of the wan, said dns is anchored to that wan. Example: If I configure or my isp gives me dns 8.8.8.8 on wan 1 and said wan goes down The balancer will begin to divert packets to wan 2 but dns 8.8.8.8 will not. That one will continue trying to go through wan 1. In my case the solution was to change the DNS of the wan to one that I do not use on my network. Sorry if there are any translation errors .  

You mean 8.8.8.8 will not be switched by the link backup?

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Beta firmware got some NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 476

Replies: 14

Related Articles