ER605 Router help request

2024-02-25 16:50:43
Model: ER605 (TL-R605)  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 2.1.2 Build 20230210 Rel.62992

Greetings to all and best regards from Rome, Italy.

I have a small office in an area outside Rome not covered by Internet fiber or cable connections.

Outside the building I had installed three Nokia Fastmile 4G LTE antennas each with three SIM cards from three different Italian mobile operators.

Each antenna operates in bridge mode and can be reached via a DHCP server.

Each antenna has the same IP configuration (192.168.0.1 and DHCP IP range from 192.168.0.50 onwards).

I purchased a TP-Link ER605 and activated all the WAN ports in Dynamic IP mode. Everything works very well and the bandwidth demands of the whole office have improved greatly. But now I have two problems and I hope someone can help me solve them.

First one: I may periodically need to enter into the respective GUIs of the Nokia antennas to do maintenance.

With the default ER605 IP class  (192.168.0.1) there is no way to enter the antennas. I tried changing the IP class of the LAN to 192.168.2.1 and in this mode I can manage the access into one or two but never all three. Of course I assume it depends on which WAN link you are using in that time...

Is there a way to access the three antennas while maintaining the best connection performance on the ER605 switch?

Second one:

I noticed that if one of the three router antennas (any one) loses connection and respective WAN go down, all the computers in the office no longer have a connection even if the other WANs are active. How is it possible ? Shouldn't they keep the connection automatically FROM ACTIVE WAN?

If I activate the "Link Backup" function, the line designated for backup is no longer used... I would like to use all three connections and be able to continue browsing if one or two fall down... which would seem more obvious to me but I I am not able.

What am I doing wrong or where should I check if I have set something wrong?

I apologize if I was talkative but I wanted to explain myself well and I apologize in advance for my terrible English.

Thanks in advance for anyone who wants to help me, best regards.

Options
6 Reply
Re:ER605 Router help request
2024-02-26 03:08:35

Hi @Marcantonio 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

1. Change your ER605 LAN to another subnet. Do not overlap or duplicate.

You can access the first router/LTE router by its LAN IP address which is the gateway IP you see on the WAN status.

2. Have you turned on load balancing?

How do you connect the wires?

As you described, you should have three WANs now and load balancing should be enabled. No failover, is that what you are now?

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Options
2024-02-26 14:34:23

@Marcantonio 

I am not super familiar with the Nokia 4FG ODU, but I don't think you are operating them in 'bridge' mode.  Instead, you are using dynamic addressing, which makes it look like all WAN ports have the same IP, not a good thing!  I would like to know more information on what your carriers tell you about configuring your device to use the 'bridge mode', as shown below:

At a minimum, you may need to configure the VLAN (45 above) on the specific WAN port.

There are advantages to this, as each WAN should get a unique IP from each carrier, and your load balancing should work much better.

If you cannot figure this out or the ER605 does not support the necessary config, then AT A MINIMUM you need to make sure all subnets are different (per Clive-A).  So if you are using 192.168.0.X/24 for the office, then your 3 antennas should be uniquely configure with a different LAN, say 192.168.1.0/24, 192.168.2.0/24 and 192.168.3.0/24 respectively.  This isn't ideal as you are still double (or triple) NAT'ing each connection (you will be triple NAT'ing if your carrier shares a public IP with multiple users ie giving you a private IP which is then NAT'd to a public IP.  The next level of NAT is the sharing by the Nokia and the last level is the sharing via the ER605.

<< Paying it forward, one juicy problem at a time... >>
Options
2024-02-28 18:03:32

@Marcantonio 

First of all, I apologize for the delay in responding but I have been very busy with work.

As regards the problem related to the loss of line of one or more WANs, I have solved it perfectly and I thank everyone for the answers !!!

Regarding access to Nokia antennas that function as modems, they can operate both as bridges and as routing. I thought that the bridge mode was the best, given that the TP-Link ER605 switch automatically recognizes them in this mode and immediately allows you to browse the internet without having to do any kind of intervention.

Obviously every computer in the office surfs the internet perfectly

I attach on this message a screenshot of the switch “system status” section. As you can see, the Nokia antennas through the bridge offer connection links with their own IP and related DNS provided by each respective telephone operator

( In detail:

- WAN             = Very Mobile
- WAN/LAN1     = FWA - WindTre
- WAN/LAN2    = Vodafone ).

If I try to enter the GUI of the three antennas through the static IPs provided by the bridge I get the login screen of the TP Link ER605 switch again ...

To understand better if you look at the screenshot I tried to enter the antennas by typing the three IP addresses in the "IP Address" column and the IP addresses in the "Default Gatway" column. All the ip addresses in the "Default Gateway” are not reachable otherwise all the ip addresses in the "IP Address" they take me back to the login page of the ER605 switch

The three antennas have three different subnet IP classes each one:

If I try to reach the antennas via these IPs I can only enter the antenna that is providing the connection at that moment.

In short, to reach all the antennas I have to interrupt two WANs to enter the third one which is operational and which provides the WAN connection at that moment and only by the antenna ip subnet …

Options
2024-02-28 18:59:01 - last edited 2024-02-28 19:00:31

@Marcantonio 

Thanks for the update.  A couple of comments for you:

1. VeryMobile is really just WindTre, as it's a MVNO and so is using the very same towers and core.  IF you want to truly have tri-versity, then find a TIM based MVNO instead as you already have Vodaphone.  For proof, looks at the ARIN records for the DNS servers here: https ://mxtoolbox*com/SuperTool.aspx?action=arin%3a151.5.216.228&run=toolpage

2. Your attempt to hit the modem GUIs is normal and fixable.

a) you keep getting the TPlink GUI because the IP you are asking for is actually assigned to the WAN port of the TPlink, not the modem

b) you can only reach the antenna gui you want when the loadbalance algorithm lines up with the IP you are requesting**

** You can fix this by adding static routes or even policy routing.  The idea is you say that 192.168.2.0/24 is always via WAN, 192.168.3.0/24 is always via WAN1 and 192.168.4.0/24 is always via WAN2

Options
2024-02-28 20:55:45

@d0ugmac1 

You are absolutely right, Very Mobile is a WindTre low-cost division. The most ridiculous thing is that in my case the Very Mobile bandwidth is much better than the bandwidth provided by the Wind Tre FWA line. Except that Very Mobile costs 10 euros per month while FWA costs 30 euros per month!!!! Unfortunately I don't have any TIM tower near my office and therefore it makes no sense to try TIM too. The only alternative to Wind Tre is Vodafone. In these two cases I have more than 100 mega downloads and around 50/60 uploads. That's fine... these two towers are about 4km. apart ... but the Nokia antennas are truly incredible... obviously the huge advantage is that they are outside on the roof of the building.
Could you help me get the settings right on the TP-Link switch to create the three static routes?
Thank you very much in any case for your response.
Options
2024-02-28 23:59:36 - last edited 2024-02-29 00:00:48

@Marcantonio 

I'm Controller based, but here's what that looks like, I"ve done the first 2 (I only have WAN and WAN1 config'd at this site)

that should be enough to help you set up similar entries in the Standalone firmware. 

internally each is configured like this

Options