TP-Link Tapo wifi plug won't connect to EAP225

2024-04-17 19:27:23 - last edited 2024-04-17 20:02:16
Model: EAP225  
Hardware Version: V4
Firmware Version: 5.1.6 Build 20240313 Red. 43415

I have a full Omada network at home and in my detached garage, including an OC200, ER605 Router, SG2428P switch, 3 EAP610's and 2 EAP225's. Last night i set up an IoT VLAN to be able to use with Ring Camera, wifi plugs and bulbs, Amazon Echo devices....etc. I was able to reactivate all my IoT devices on my new VLAN with no issue. However I am having an issue with one of my Tapo P125M smart wifi outlets. I have another one in my bedroom, which i was able to set up without issue. The one giving me trouble is located in my detached garage. The garage has an EAP225 mounted on the ceiling with full ethernet backhaul to the switch in the basement. Prior to setting up the VLAN, i was using this Tapo P125M without issue in the garage on my main network to remotely turn a device on or off. When i now try to connect it to my VLAN network, it refuses to connect in the app, giving me an error either saying it cant find the network or its not compatible with the security key type (regular WPA2). 

There are 4-5 other devices connected to the garage EAP225 AP using the VLAN without issue, and another 3 deviced connected to my main LAN via wifi also using the same AP. If i bring the Tap plug in the house, will will successfully connect to VLAN immediately without issue, so the inside AP's arent an issue and neither is the plug. I also tried to get it to connect back to my main LAN SSID and it too refuses to connect now but ONLY in the garage with the EAP225.

I checked all my VLAN and wireless settings and there is nothing different or changed. the VLAN is set to use both 2.4 and 5 Ghz, theres no MAC filtering, its MAC isnt blocked. the only retriction i have in place is an EAP ACL, not allowing VLAN devices to connect to my main LAN network. but again, the plug works perfectly fine inside, as do all other devices. so it must be something specific with the AP in the garage.

on a side note, since i connected some of my devices to the VLAN, ive been bombarded with alerts of dropped packets. The ER605 detected numerous TCP SYN packet attacks which i feel must be from my device continuously trying to connect. anyone have any ideas? this plug was working just fine before attempting to connect to the VLAN.

UPDATE: I was finally able to get it to connect by setting it up in the house and locking it to the Garage AP, then walked it outside and plugged it in out there. took a few minutes for it and my phone to roam to that AP, but when they did, it was working fine. verified everything in the Omada app to make sure it was on the correct network and had access.

Options
1 Reply
Re:TP-Link Tapo wifi plug won't connect to EAP225
2024-04-18 06:14:00

dictoresno wrote

I have a full Omada network at home and in my detached garage, including an OC200, ER605 Router, SG2428P switch, 3 EAP610's and 2 EAP225's. Last night i set up an IoT VLAN to be able to use with Ring Camera, wifi plugs and bulbs, Amazon Echo devices....etc. I was able to reactivate all my IoT devices on my new VLAN with no issue. However I am having an issue with one of my Tapo P125M smart wifi outlets. I have another one in my bedroom, which i was able to set up without issue. The one giving me trouble is located in my detached garage. The garage has an EAP225 mounted on the ceiling with full ethernet backhaul to the switch in the basement. Prior to setting up the VLAN, i was using this Tapo P125M without issue in the garage on my main network to remotely turn a device on or off. When i now try to connect it to my VLAN network, it refuses to connect in the app, giving me an error either saying it cant find the network or its not compatible with the security key type (regular WPA2). 

There are 4-5 other devices connected to the garage EAP225 AP using the VLAN without issue, and another 3 deviced connected to my main LAN via wifi also using the same AP. If i bring the Tap plug in the house, will will successfully connect to VLAN immediately without issue, so the inside AP's arent an issue and neither is the plug. I also tried to get it to connect back to my main LAN SSID and it too refuses to connect now but ONLY in the garage with the EAP225.

I checked all my VLAN and wireless settings and there is nothing different or changed. the VLAN is set to use both 2.4 and 5 Ghz, theres no MAC filtering, its MAC isnt blocked. the only retriction i have in place is an EAP ACL, not allowing VLAN devices to connect to my main LAN network. but again, the plug works perfectly fine inside, as do all other devices. so it must be something specific with the AP in the garage.

on a side note, since i connected some of my devices to the VLAN, ive been bombarded with alerts of dropped packets. The ER605 detected numerous TCP SYN packet attacks which i feel must be from my device continuously trying to connect. anyone have any ideas? this plug was working just fine before attempting to connect to the VLAN.

UPDATE: I was finally able to get it to connect by setting it up in the house and locking it to the Garage AP, then walked it outside and plugged it in out there. took a few minutes for it and my phone to roam to that AP, but when they did, it was working fine. verified everything in the Omada app to make sure it was on the correct network and had access.

Hi @dictoresno 

Thanks for your valued sharing.

If you encounter the similar issue, would you please help to provide some screenshots about the SSID setting page to us? Such as the WPA mode and the PMF setting etc.

Best Regards! >> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << >> Get the Latest Omada SDN Controller Releases Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 234

Replies: 1

Related Articles