WA850RE Extended wifi offers TKIP, how do I disable that?

2017-09-26 17:57:58
Model : WA850RE

Hardware Version : V2

Firmware Version : : 1.0.0 Build 20160527 Rel. 60757

ISP :

[V2 hardware (Admin, pls note the "Add more information" section of the post creation form does not allow me to enter the hw version)]

My "primary" wifi (host network) security is set as WPA2-AES (no TKIP, and no WPA). When I view it with Acrylic's wifi scanner (free) it confirms this wifi as just WPA2 offered, with "PSK-CCMP" only available (CCMP essentially is AES by another name), so confirming no WPA and no TKIP are available (or WEP come to that).

After using WPS to connect the extender to this wifi, Acrylic shows that the extended wifi is offering both the old WPA as well as WPA2, and both are shown as "PSK-(TKIP|CCMP)". [and Nirsoft's free WifiInfoView says the same]

Note that TKIP is deprecated and should not be used, so WPA should not be used at all, and WPA2 should not be used with TKIP.
So I don't want my extender to offer anything except WPA2 with PSK + AES.

In the extender's web management pages there are no obvious setting to change the extended wfi security settings.

I did note though that under Wireless/Connect to Network (ie where you can manually set the primary wifi connection details) there is a Security drop-down which shows " WPA-PSK/WPA2-PSK" currently selected, but gives "WPA2-PSK" as an alternative option. I tried the "WPA2-PSK" option and it has changed the extended wifi security, BUT not "enough".

After changing to "WPA2-PSK" Acrylic now shows the extended wifi with just WPA2 offered (WPA has gone), BUT it still shows "PSK-(TKIP|CCMP)" whereas I was hoping for "PSK-CCMP".

So how do I switch off the now deprecated TKIP completely in the extended wifi?

Cheers
Options
2 Replies
Re:WA850RE Extended wifi offers TKIP, how do I disable that?
2017-09-29 16:25:06
The range extender will have the same authentication type with the router, so if your router uses AES, the extender should be the same.
So if your main router is AES, then the 850RE should be AES as well, and that cannot change. Did you try any other way to check it?
BTW, did you set different name for the RE and Rotuer? Just make sure that you are checking the correct signal.
It will be good if you can share a screenshot about it:-)
Options
Re:WA850RE Extended wifi offers TKIP, how do I disable that?
2017-09-29 16:50:05
Hi, thanks for the reply.

If the extender should " have the same authentication type with the router" then I think it is faulty.

Look at the screenshot, see the two "DaveG" entries:
Extender (A2-E9) = WPA2-PSK with TKIP+CCMP
Host (83-E2) = WPA2-PSK with CCMP

As I said, both Nirsoft and Acrylic show "TKIP", any other suggestions as to how to confirm it?

And note that (as first posted) I have already had to change the Security drop-down to remove WPA!

Cheers

Dave
Options