Archer C7/C2 WDS

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Archer C7/C2 WDS

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Archer C7/C2 WDS
Archer C7/C2 WDS
2018-01-07 17:54:31
Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

I have just recently bought an Archer C2 as an additional access point to better cover my house besides the main router, Archer C7, handling all the routing, DHCP and other duties. At first i set up the WiFis (both 2,4 GHz and 5 GHz) with same SSIDs and passwords, but with different channels (one router on channel 1, the other on channel 14 for example), as per reccomendation from an IT involved friend. That did work more or less, but after googling i found out the routers support the option of WDS. I enabled WDS on the Archer C2 and all went fine and dandy.

The issue i have now is that the WiFi (2,4 GHz only) works perfectly fine on my father's Nokia Android phone, while it absolutely does not work on my Nexus 5X (regardless of the band). Once WDS is enabled, i get 'Authentication problem' on both bands. Here and there the phone does connect, but the internet performance is spotty - it works for some things (website loading), while it doesn't for other things.

The passwords are set correctly (the moment i will turn off the C2 router, my phone will connect), the distance between the AP and the device is not a problem (my phone is literally 10 cm away from the primary C7 router), both APs (C7 and C2) are connected by a wire (the C2 is also used as a switch), DHCP is disabled on the C2, nothing is plugged into the WAN port, the IP is set to something C7 DHCP server shouldn't issue to other devices, etc.

Any ideas what could be the issue?
Options
3 Reply
Re:Archer C7/C2 WDS
2018-01-07 21:57:36
So, i've made some additional research into this, added another Android phone and connected to the 5 GHz network with my father's phone. The thing is both other phones are downstairs, near the Archer C2 (with WDS enabled), while mine is mostly near the C7. Trying to connect with all three phones on both bands near C7 gives 'wrong password' errors, while connecting with all three phones near the C2 works OK. The passwords are of course OK (i even copied the passwords back and forth between the setting pages of both routers), so there's an issue with the Archer C7 apparently.

Any ideas anyone?
Options
2018-01-15 19:41:23
So I was in contact with TP Link support and I was told WDS is mainly used as a router to router link when using wireless to link them instead of a ethernet cable. This then enables sharing information between the two just like using an ethernet cable does (one device can be the DHCP server for the whole network, the router, etc.)When using a wired connection, WDS doesn't need to be enabled. The different channels with same SSID and password method is preferred.
Options
2018-10-09 00:25:28
If there is any resolution to this problem I would be quite interested!

My situation:

C2 is the primary station and has wired internet connection, not settings relevant to WDS are set
C7 is the client router, which has WDS settings set, dhcp turned off and a local ip outside of dhcp range, as per the guide.
No wired connection between the two.

It works and I get good speeds, but the connection seems to drop for a few seconds per day. This manifests while web browsing as failed DNS requests, but to be honest it might be that the whole WDS link is simply down.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 955

Replies: 3

Related Articles