Solid red LED - crashed Deco units

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2018-09-17 22:53:47 - last edited 2022-07-22 07:26:12
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:
Model : Deco M5

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version : 1,2,3 Build 20180819 Rel. 68100

ISP :

Yesterday, all of a sudden while we where watching Netflix, all devices lost connection to the Internet and my 2 Deco M5's had a solid red LED. It was not possible to use the app to check the M5's for messages. After a number of brutal resets by yanking out the power cable I realised that my only remaining option was to make a factory reset on both units.
Has anyone else experienced this or similar?
Is it possible that this is related to the recent update?
And why does'nt TPLink provide any information about what to do when the LED is solid red on a Deco M5?

Configuration: Internet (fibre via ethernet) -> Deco primary unit -> Switch -> Deco secondary unit.
Other: Pi-hole, only running DNS for selected clients on the network (HTPC etc). Deco primary unit handles all ipconfig/ifconfig for other clients.
Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Solid red LED - crashed Deco units-Solution
2020-11-30 08:27:21 - last edited 2022-05-05 10:20:51

@Dennis24 

Please refer to the following link for more suggestions:

Main Deco turned red light

and if after a factory reset, the LED had no change, please refer to this link:

Abnormal LED lights on the Deco

Recommended Solution
Options
48 Reply
Same problem here after power outage
2018-10-03 07:11:39
I already experienced the same problems 4 times after a power outage. Every time a shortcut happens which shuts down the electricity or if the power supply from the power company fails, I completely have to re-install my 4 M5 units again.The units don't seem to be able to cope with sudden power drops. If the device is being unplugged, there is no problem. It just reboots and connects to the other units again. If there is any form of internal shortcut in the home electrical system or a power outage from the power company, the deco units are in trouble. Sometimes the green leds stay on but no internet connection is possible. Other times (and most times) they just show you the red led which cannot be solved by unplugging and restarting the units again. The only solution seems to be a full reset of every unit and reconnecting them again. This has forced me to reconnect every available device in our home for several times right now. This is becoming quite an annoying issue.If this problem cannot be solved by TP link, another solution would be a backup an reinstall of the deco configuration if these events happen. Up till now I have not found any other solution than just perform a full reset of all deco's and reconnect them again in a new configuration and of course reconnect all devices and reconfigure all settings again, including appointing the ip addresses for the cameras and some other devices.I don't know if other users experience the same problem with power outages as well but it would be great if there were a backup function. Since you have to connect to the cloud anyway, this should not be very hard to realize for TP link but really solve a problem of having to spend many hours reconfiguring your whole network again.So to answer the question: Yes, I am experiencing red leds ont the units as well and have not found any other solution than full reset by pushing the reset button and then reconfigure the whole set again.
Options
Re:Solid red LED - crashed Deco units
2018-10-04 04:48:45
Did this problem start occuring after the latest update?
Options
2018-10-06 07:49:08
No, that didn't have anything to do with it. In the meantime I also contacted TP-link and they told me it is a known problem but there is no solution for this problem. Power outages or peak currents make the system go haywire. Since the cloud is only used to make external access possible, there is no backup solution. It would be great (if they cannot prevent this) if they had a backup possibility to replace the configuration after these events. Unfortunately this is not possible.I will be trying a solution I found in the form of a mini UPC backup battery instead of the existing adapter. This should solve the power cut problem but I'm not sure whether this will adapt to power peaks as well.
Options
2019-09-14 23:47:24 - last edited 2019-09-14 23:53:09

Potential workaround (may not work in all cases) when you have a router with DHCP besides the Deco units and Deco units are in AP mode not router mode:

When you get a solid red light, switch off Deco units, then restart your router, once router is fully up and running again, start the Deco units. It may help in some cases.

Options
2019-12-27 17:31:59

I have the deco e4. I believe a power outage did happen. Latest firmware. At first there was no upload speed whats so ever. Download speed was great but no upload. After reseting and reconfiguring my network. It would just be solid red. No solution. I guess it is bricked. I tried another deco, from another room tried to make main deco. same problem. Steady Red light. Reset button is not working as well. I think ill call customer service

Options
2020-02-27 10:22:54

@bartf71 same experience, I have bought the deco m5 for about half year, the light will go solid red every three or four days and I can't even fix it, I can just wait it, since rebooting it has no effect or help,I have tried it serval times. It's frustrating 

Options
2020-05-13 19:54:40
I think it’s because the pihole Have you set a secondary dns, or using only pihole? I think deco phones home on boot and since pihole is dns server it won’t have internet until deco completes it’s boot
Options
2020-07-15 20:20:30

@nergruht I have what sounds like the same problem with deco m9 units.  I've tried just about everything, including deleting the network and recreating it.  The units still crash and go solid red.  They're around one year old, although they're only used for 5 months during the year.  Essentially, they've become useless and I need to get a different system.  These had excellent reviews, but I'm extremely disappointed in the product.

Options
2020-07-28 08:20:50

@nergruht 

I confirm the suggestion of MDec.

I have 5 Deco M5's and everytime there is a power outage or internet disconnection, the Main unit would turn SOLID RED. The satellite units would turn BLINKING RED. EVEN WHEN THE POWER AND INTERNET CONNECTION HAVE BEEN RESTPRED, the Main and Satellite units would remain solid red and blinking red respectively and the Deco App will not be able to access them.

When this happened before, I had to reset and reconfigure everything ensuring that I keep the same SSID so as not to reconfigure all the other smart devices linked with the various M5 units. Obviously, this is a pain with the pain multiplied by the number of satellite units you have.

Today, i tried the suggestion of MDec. It worked! I repeated the procedure and it produced the same result.

This is the Procedure:

1. TURN OFF (OR UNLPUG) THE MAIN M5 UNIT.

2. RESTART YOUR ROUTER.

3. WHEN YOUR ROUTER IS UP AND RUNNING WITH STABLE INTERNET CONNECTION, TURN ON (OR PLUG IN) THE MAIN M5 UNIT.

4. AFTER THE MAIN M5 UNIT RESETS, IT AND ALL THE SATELLITE ROUTERS WILL TURN GREEN AND THE DECO APP WILL BE ABLE TO ACCESS ALL THE UNITS.

Note: My mesh setup is in AP mode.

Good luck!

Options
2020-10-09 07:22:48

@SonnyH this solution is ok when you are at home :) Deco will not wake up by itself after a power outage and this is BIG problem

SonnyH wrote

@nergruht 

I confirm the suggestion of MDec.

I have 5 Deco M5's and everytime there is a power outage or internet disconnection, the Main unit would turn SOLID RED. The satellite units would turn BLINKING RED. EVEN WHEN THE POWER AND INTERNET CONNECTION HAVE BEEN RESTPRED, the Main and Satellite units would remain solid red and blinking red respectively and the Deco App will not be able to access them.

When this happened before, I had to reset and reconfigure everything ensuring that I keep the same SSID so as not to reconfigure all the other smart devices linked with the various M5 units. Obviously, this is a pain with the pain multiplied by the number of satellite units you have.

Today, i tried the suggestion of MDec. It worked! I repeated the procedure and it produced the same result.

This is the Procedure:

1. TURN OFF (OR UNLPUG) THE MAIN M5 UNIT.

2. RESTART YOUR ROUTER.

3. WHEN YOUR ROUTER IS UP AND RUNNING WITH STABLE INTERNET CONNECTION, TURN ON (OR PLUG IN) THE MAIN M5 UNIT.

4. AFTER THE MAIN M5 UNIT RESETS, IT AND ALL THE SATELLITE ROUTERS WILL TURN GREEN AND THE DECO APP WILL BE ABLE TO ACCESS ALL THE UNITS.

Note: My mesh setup is in AP mode.

Good luck!

Options

Information

Helpful: 25

Views: 193137

Replies: 48

Related Articles