Main Deco turned red light
2021-06-10 07:32:59 - last edited 2023-10-12 10:26:52
Model: Deco  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

This Article Applies to:

All Deco models

Typical problem description:

1. Main Deco turned red after creating the Wi-Fi name and password during the setup;

2. Main Deco went solid red after working normally for a long time, rebooting could not get back to green/white.

Possible Reasons and Suggestions:

Case One: Main Deco turned red during the setup.

Step1: Click  “Skip This Step” on the bottom of the error page to finish the current setup.

Step2: Go to Deco APP>More>Advanced>IPV4 and make sure you have chosen the correct internet connection type.

Please confirm with the ISP first if you are not sure about internet configuration details

Step3: Go to Deco APP>More>Advanced>IPV4 and check whether there is a valid IPv4 address.

• If the IP address is blank, please unplug the cable between modem and main Deco, connect a computer to the modem and check whether there is internet service on the computer.
  • If there is an IP address, please refer to this link to change the DNS server to be 8.8.8.8/8.8.4.4 as well.

Step 4. Clone the MAC address of the computer on Deco.

Case Two: Deco suddenly went to red after working fine for a long time.

Step 1.Please go to Deco APP>More>Advanced>IPV4.

• If the IP address is blank, please unplug the cable between modem and main Deco, connect a computer to the modem and check whether there is internet service on the computer.
  • If there is an IP address, please refer to this link to change the DNS server to be 8.8.8.8/8.8.4.4 as well.

Step 2. Try to clone the MAC address of the computer:

Step 3. Conact us with the following information:  

• The service provider and model number of ISP fiber/cable modem;
  • A picture of the IPv4 settings on the Deco APP;
  • A picture of the IP settings (IP and subnet, gateway/DNS server) on the PC when it is connected to the ISP modem-How to find IP address on your devices?

Case Three: Deco will randomly turn red during the day.

If it is the case, the Deco might experience a unstable connection. And please refer to the following link for more suggestions:

Fix unstable connection when connected to the Deco network-Case one

Options
21 Reply
Re:Main Deco turned red light
2022-07-27 07:23:30

@TP-Link My satelite Deco is having this problem. I tried to reset. No use. It is green for 10 seconds and Red pulsating for next 60 seconds. Cycle repeats like this throughout the day. What is the solution

Options
2022-07-27 11:10:36

@Viswanath 

Thanks for the feedback.

I have checked your previous post and the email record with us and would like to forward your case to the senior engineers for further assistance.

Please check the email for more suggestions.

Best regards.

Options
2022-07-28 11:36:52

Greetings

My satelite Deco shows as PORTS NOT FORWARDED . Is it the reason for not being connected to main Deco. If so, how to correct it

Options
2022-07-28 11:47:41

@Viswanath 

Where can you see these errors"PORTS NOT FORWARDED", in the system log? and any screenshots/files that you could share with us?

Thank you.

Best regards.

Options
2022-07-29 09:00:26

@David-TP Greetings

I notice this in the Firewalla i added

Options
2022-08-09 06:10:34

@TP-Link I have a similar issue wherein a sattelite Deco dropped off and I am unable to reconnect as it flashes yellow then turns to red - I have changed it to the main Deco position and still not change

Options
2022-08-10 02:56:40

@Terrypj 

Hi, 

Have you tried to hold the reset pinhole for 1s to factory reset it once and add it back to the previous mesh network?

If there is no change in the LED status, it is also suggested to refer to this lin to run a firmware recovery on the Deco:

How to use firmware recovery if the Deco become brick

Thank you very much.

Best regards.

Options
2022-08-15 04:06:36
What if I have a similar case with my deco x20-dsl and have the latest firmware available in my region? What does it mean deco becomes a brick?
Options
2022-09-27 14:10:39 - last edited 2022-09-27 14:11:03

Wish I had never spent $230 for these stupid W7200 units.  I founght for months to get all my Google speakers to work with them.  Finally found a workaround but it was a mess.  Then a few months later my Ooma wouldn't connect anymore, even though every other device was still connected.  So I tried powering it, the base W7200, and the modem off and back on, and now I get the red light.  Finally did a reset on both W7200 units and did a new setup, and it shows internet working for maybe 30 seconds then goes to red light again.  Tried using the 2nd unit as the main after a reset and same result.  Tried 5 more times and same result.  (Comcast internet thru an M8600 modem.)

After hours of screwing with it, I finally gave up and pulled out the trusty old AC1750 those replaced.  It's always worked well but just doesn't have the range to reach the far end of the house well (Chromecasts seem to need a strong signal).  Spend the rest of the day relocating the modem and old router to a more central spot in the house, and then re-configuring all the plugs and cameras and thermostat etc etc etc.

What a waste of $230.

Options
2022-11-16 17:36:59

@TP-Link 

Switched the Ethernet cable from port 1 to port 3 and the issue was fixed instantly. Unfortunately did not figure this out until I spent over an hour talking to live chat. It ended up being my ISP who figured out the resolution even though it was a Deco issue. 

Options