Old wall plates with HS200 not mounting flush with wall. Any easy solutions?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2018-12-24 19:19:14

When I go install an HS200 switch in an existing gang of 2 or 3 switches, the wall plate cover never sits perfectly snug against the wall. 

Does anyone else have this problem? Any simple solutions?

Options
6 Reply
Re:Old wall plates with HS200 not mounting flush with wall. Any easy solutions?
2018-12-25 07:48:51
Hi Jordan, For this case, the best solution might be just identify the length and width of the wall plate you need and then purchase the particalr wall plate on online store.
Options
2018-12-25 17:58:02

I had similar issues and it had do to with the switch itself not setting flush in the wall box,often times because of the bulk of wiring behind the switch.  Try rearranging the cabling in the box and see if you can get the switch to set back further in the box.

Ryan

Options
Re:Re:Old wall plates with HS200 not mounting flush with wall. Any easy solutions?
2018-12-27 14:47:25

Thanks for the replies.

I think I hear what you're saying Ryan, but unfortunately for me, the box is recessed a little too far behind the drywall and my smart switch is snug againsted the drywall. I did once have an issue with cables inside the box forcing the switch to stick out from the wall a little bit, but I managed to solve that issue.

The only solution I can see is maybe cutting out or chipping out the drywall behind the actual smart switch so that the switch can be fastened even closer to the box inside the wall. Only then can I see the wall cover plate going on perfectly. frown

Thanks again yes

Options
Re:Re:Re:Old wall plates with HS200 not mounting flush with wall. Any easy solutions?
2018-12-27 23:34:05

Any chance you can post pics with the wall plate off?

Jordan_F wrote

Thanks for the replies.

I think I hear what you're saying Ryan, but unfortunately for me, the box is recessed a little too far behind the drywall and my smart switch is snug againsted the drywall. I did once have an issue with cables inside the box forcing the switch to stick out from the wall a little bit, but I managed to solve that issue.

The only solution I can see is maybe cutting out or chipping out the drywall behind the actual smart switch so that the switch can be fastened even closer to the box inside the wall. Only then can I see the wall cover plate going on perfectly. frown

Thanks again yes

Options
Re:Re:Re:Old wall plates with HS200 not mounting flush with wall. Any easy solutions?
2018-12-28 05:35:34

Yes, you can chip out the drywall until the switch fits flush.  It will be flush against the box in normal installations.  Just be sure not to damage the drywall past where it's covered by the plate.

AutomationManager: Secure home automation without relying on cloud servers.
Options
2019-01-04 03:02:26

Hi,

I have the exact same problem with the HS200 model.  I think there is a design flaw with the HS200.  TP-Link decided to use plastic tab instead of metal one (like the HS220).  So the plastic tab is thicker and doesn't fit right with all my standard 2 + gang plate.

Right now I have 6 HS200.  I installed 2 of those and the same problem occur.

I hope to find a viable solution soon, because I'm tinking to return it back. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 4410

Replies: 6