Change wifi channel on Deco M9

Change wifi channel on Deco M9

400 Reply
Re:Re:Re:Change wifi channel on Deco M9
2019-04-15 01:34:54

Hi,

Deco P7 and all Deco series products will choose a best channel when it detects ths current channel it is on is not so stable or unavailable. So, it is not regular for Deco to change the channel automatically. As you mentioned that the Deco P7 devices stay on most busy channel, would I know which channel does it on now? With this channel, do you have any issue to use the Deco P7 network like wireless dropping? If not, it should be working fine. Any problem with the Deco, please do contact with us and we will help to locate the problem as soon and provide suitable suggestions.

Have a nice day!

Options
Re:Change wifi channel on Deco M9
2019-04-15 06:38:10

Dear Support,

Have been using the Deco M9 plus for several weeks now and am running into the same issues with setting up the wireless and having the best channel selection. Currently there is no option to set the channel to use and the used channels (both 2.4 and 5 GHz) are the most used channels in the neighbourhood. There at least 12 other networks using the same channel as the Deco has selected. This is causing issues with stability.

The second problem I am having is that there are smart devices (Philips 7303 smart tv for example) that are only supporting connectivity on a select few channels in the 5 GHz range.

For both issues to be resolved, having the ability to set the channel to use would be very usefull and would add greater value to the product. This is a basic feature that has been around on almost all WLAN routers for years. It should not be too much of an effort to have the Deco app fitted with this at least the ability to change/set channels for WiFi. Please get this feature implemented in the Deco app so that we, the users, are more in control of what can be set. The default used by most products is usually also the setting that causes the most issues due to conflicts, oversubscription etc.

Options
Re:Re:Change wifi channel on Deco M9
2019-04-23 01:49:54

Milagh wrote

Dear Support,

Have been using the Deco M9 plus for several weeks now and am running into the same issues with setting up the wireless and having the best channel selection. Currently there is no option to set the channel to use and the used channels (both 2.4 and 5 GHz) are the most used channels in the neighbourhood. There at least 12 other networks using the same channel as the Deco has selected. This is causing issues with stability.

The second problem I am having is that there are smart devices (Philips 7303 smart tv for example) that are only supporting connectivity on a select few channels in the 5 GHz range.

For both issues to be resolved, having the ability to set the channel to use would be very usefull and would add greater value to the product. This is a basic feature that has been around on almost all WLAN routers for years. It should not be too much of an effort to have the Deco app fitted with this at least the ability to change/set channels for WiFi. Please get this feature implemented in the Deco app so that we, the users, are more in control of what can be set. The default used by most products is usually also the setting that causes the most issues due to conflicts, oversubscription etc.

Hi,

I do think it is a basic feature implemented in the Deco app so that it will be much easier for you customers to manage the network. Regarding to add new features, our R&D colleagues are working on it, and for the updates, you can keep an eye on the official website/Deco app.

Thanks for your cooperation and support in advance. Good day. 

Options
Re:Re:Re:Change wifi channel on Deco M9
2019-08-07 05:37:38

Dear TP-Link Support Team...

I am having similar issues with the flaship Deco Model I bought yesterday.

In general, it seems great and I have "full signal" throughout the home. Mission accomplished you'll say. Not quite, unfortunately.

Prior to the purchase of the M9 Deco kit, I was able to use the Lifx Smart bulbs in my house. At present, not a single one is working as it is not able to see the Wi-Fi Network.

Lifx bulbs operate on the 2.4Mhz Wi-Fi, and supports channel 1-11. Channel 12, 13 and 14 are not supported. It would appear that the Deco has decided that one of those unsupported channels are the best channels to broadcast on.

I have reset the system and tried setting it up again... The Deco's are adamant to use those channels that are not supported. Any recommendations on changing the Deco's mind on which channel to use. Do I need to reset it again, rub salt on it and chant "Deco" 5-times... (Just kidding)

The product seems to be great, however the limitation in settings appears to be it's achilles heel... which is most likely going to result in this being taken back to the store. 

If I need another router to operate the lights, I might as well just invest in a complete new system.

Thanks in advance...

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Change wifi channel on Deco M9
2019-08-08 07:34:16 - last edited 2019-08-08 07:40:21

@Mike_dB 

Do you scan the wireless channel used by the Deco 2.4GHz with wifi analyzer and confirm that it uses channel 12-14?

Please try to disable 5GHz and disable fast roaming to verify whether the bulb can connect to the 2.4GHz network.

Meanwhile, what is the country version of the Deco M9 plus? Which can be found on the bottom label of the actual device. 

And what are the channels used by the local 2.4GHz network?

Any updates, please let us know. 

Options
Re:Re:Change wifi channel on Deco M9
2019-08-16 09:57:51

@matmatician 

We are sorry for the inconvenience caused here; 

To be honest, we have received some feedback to change the wifi channel on the Deco units, which we have noted and reminded our R&D team.

We will keep and eye on this feedback and will push our R&D team to provide a solution as soon as possible.

Best regards. 

Options
2019-09-30 15:18:29

So where are you with adding the basic functionalty of changing the WiFi channel?

I just set an M9 Plus up for my neighbour and like many others it picked the worst possible WiFi channel. This is ridiculous and it needs to be addressed right away.

I will more than likely be returning this POS and getting him a decent Asus router

Options
2019-09-30 17:12:04

@Kevin_Z 

I am using M9 with ethernet backhaul. Therefore, dedicated antenna not work at all? If so, there is no difference between m5 and m9 at all when using ethernet backhaul?? Can I use it for boost wireless speed?

Options
2019-09-30 19:31:03

@Richdem68 

Great point. 

And I wish that update to be pushed to all deco. Not only P9. I own a pack of 3 Deco M5 and a pack of 2 Deco M4 both have the same issue. They went for the most busy channel they could find. Witch makes my speed and stability very bad. 

Please release an update as fast as possible. 

Thank you tp-link team. 

Options
2019-10-15 07:57:41

Hi all,

We have noted that, your requests provides more statictis/cases so that we will be able to push our R&D colleague to evaluate the feasibility to add this feature in the next firmware. 

You can wait for the updates and keep an eye on official website. 

Good day. 

Options

Tags

Feature Request
Channel and channel width
Related Articles