Deco causing Ring Doorbell 2 to brick

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-03-08 16:01:55 - last edited 2021-01-27 01:01:11

Latest firmware.

Background - Bought and installed Deco mid December.  Ring in use for about 1.5 years.

At approx end of January my Ring Doorbell 2 completely died.  Nothing could get it to come back alive, battery was fine, tried a few other batteries. Nothing. 

Ring kindly replaced it, that too died within 2 weeks. 

Replacement came for that, and lasted about 6 hours before it died. 

Each time the death was exactly the same.  Complete and utter brick. 

Ring support had no knowledge of any similar issues or problems with firmware which caused this.  Let alone 3 devices in a row died.

I've looked online and i found reference to 2 other people who had similar issues.  Both had Deco M5's..   the same as me!

Coincidence! 

I spoke to one of them and they told me that they had turned it into AP mode instead of router, turned off Mesh functionality and he hasn't had any problems since. 

Now....I cannot use it in AP mode as the whole reason for purchasing the Deco was because it is a router and provides parental controls etc... none of which would work in AP mode.   Also without Mesh functionality... what is the actual point in having a Mesh system?!

So... my question is.. to anyone.. to TPLink if you actually read these forums...

What about this Mesh system could possibly cause a device to brick?!?  Has anyone heard of it before? 

I have just received and installed my 4th Ring Doorbell and set it up turning Mesh off specifically for it in the Deco settings.  Hopefully I am thinking that this might make the difference?  If it is something else I really don't know what to do, nor to hold accountable. Ring or TPLink?   

Any advice?

thanks in advance

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Deco causing Ring Doorbell 2 to brick-Solution
2019-07-31 14:18:20 - last edited 2021-01-27 01:01:11
Had exactly the same problem. Will soon be on 4th doorbell2 and 2nd Stickup Cam. Ring 2nd line support are suggestion disabling "fast roaming" on the Deco M5 and disabling WPA2-AES (which is not currently supported by Deco as according to documentation it only supports WPA/WPA2-PSK as a security option. I have disabled Fast roaming and await the next delivery of products. Fingers crossed it behaves this time. I may also remove the units from the Mesh moving forward.
Recommended Solution
Options
7 Reply
Re:Deco causing Ring Doorbell 2 to brick
2019-03-12 06:33:08

Hello,

Sorry to hear that, while back to your case, there is no such issue reported by our customers yet. 

And cause other devices work properly, the Deco mesh system should be working fine, it seems to be a ring issue.

FYI, the Deco units can build a mesh wifi system even though they work in AP mode, while the parental control does not exist any more. 

It is suggested to do some troubleshooting with Ring tech support to find out the reason why it died. 

Meanwhile, we will forward it to our related department and they may work on it.

Good day. 

Options
Re:Re:Deco causing Ring Doorbell 2 to brick
2019-06-09 21:21:59

I'm having the same issue with my ring spotlight cams.(deco m9)

Important to note that only the battery powered ones seem to be affected.

My doorbell and powered spotlight still going strong.

Strange thing is that I see the issue on both the ring and tplink forum but after several months still no solution.

I accidentally came accross this info after I contacted ring support and informed them but it was ignored or it seems that way. They didn't even ask about my WiFi system when contacting support while I can't imagine this isn't known.

On the forums I see as solution to disable fast roaming but I absolutely don't want to do this, this is the reason I bought a mesh system and its working great.

Seems ring needs to fix their stuff and urgently as people continue to brick their ring devices.

Options
Re:Re:Re:Deco causing Ring Doorbell 2 to brick
2019-06-10 07:55:44

sounds like it is the battery powered cam issue cause other devices work still going strong, like doorbell.

You can post the model of the battery powered cam and then the TP-Link can do further analysis. 

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Deco causing Ring Doorbell 2 to brick
2019-06-10 12:31:41

It's ring "spotlight can battery"

https://shop.ring.com/products/spotlight-cam-battery

Options
2019-06-15 18:58:17 - last edited 2019-06-15 18:58:42

Wow, very interesting read. I ran into exactly this same issue. Deco M5 here.

Just got my 3rd Video Doorbell 2 delivered. Replaced under warrenty. Not yet installed though, as I also ordered a Pro version which is not battery powered. That one is working without problems since a couple of days.

Options
Re:Deco causing Ring Doorbell 2 to brick-Solution
2019-07-31 14:18:20 - last edited 2021-01-27 01:01:11
Had exactly the same problem. Will soon be on 4th doorbell2 and 2nd Stickup Cam. Ring 2nd line support are suggestion disabling "fast roaming" on the Deco M5 and disabling WPA2-AES (which is not currently supported by Deco as according to documentation it only supports WPA/WPA2-PSK as a security option. I have disabled Fast roaming and await the next delivery of products. Fingers crossed it behaves this time. I may also remove the units from the Mesh moving forward.
Recommended Solution
Options
2020-08-03 19:50:42
Same problem here, Deco P9 and M5 not working with Ring Stick Up Cameras, has been 6 months and no update has resolved the issue
Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 3767

Replies: 7