Deco M9 Plus in AP mode taking over DHCP server and assigning IPs in own subnet

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Deco M9 Plus in AP mode taking over DHCP server and assigning IPs in own subnet

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
124 Reply
Re:Deco M9 Plus in AP mode taking over DHCP server and assigning IPs in own subnet
2020-02-29 10:55:32 - last edited 2020-02-29 10:56:10

@DomTheRag 

Sadly not a thing.

Still unclear what this isn't acknowledged as a bad design decision and a solution offered as a priority via a quick fix firmware update.

@Kevin_Z any news?

Options
Re:Deco M9 Plus in AP mode taking over DHCP server and assigning IPs in own subnet
2020-03-03 19:39:33
A fix for this would be great, I experienced this issue two times this week. So, +1 for a long term solution.
Options
2020-03-04 11:26:11

@Kevin_Z 

Kevin - please can you provide a status on this issue.

Is there an ETA when the option to completely disable the DHCP service will become available. There is quite a lot of feedback that the smart DHCP feature is causing more trouble, surely this cannot continue to be ignored.

Phill

Options
2020-03-23 06:44:35

@DLMax Same here, I have been waiting for them to release a new firmware where I can turn off the DHCP service for almost a year now... The only way to get rid of the DHCP service is by switching to AP mode but in my experience, AP mode was giving me lots of problems, I get frequent disconnections and problems reconnecting back to it.

And because of this, I am forced to run my deco m9 plus in router mode behind my firewall with a different subnet but at least in router mode, my devices does not encounter connectivity issues. 

I think this shall be my 1st and last TP-Link product, the features and support they offer are sorely lacking...

Options
2020-03-23 06:57:03 - last edited 2020-03-23 06:57:23

@Ixnay 

@Kevin_Z 

@tplink 

@Support 

Kevin - can you please provide some update.

To labour and repeat the point. The Smart DHCP feature is CLEARLY causing significant issues for your customers. We simply want an update on when we will have the ability to fully disable this feature.

Options
2020-03-23 13:34:06

@phillip_mcmahon 

@Ixnay 

@Kevin_Z 

@tplink 

@Support 

Hey Phillip,

Do you think the latest firmware 1.4.x has solved our issue? Im really not sure if i should upgrade to this latest firmware.

Right now, evey 3 weeks, the "smart DCHP" kiks in. Im able to do a few things and my network is up in running.

Im wondering if i upgrade my firware.... will i be stuck with new issues???

Anyone tested this new firmware?

THanks eveyone for you support.

@Kevin_Z  We Are all still waithing for some sort of answer on your behalf. At least tell us if you guys are looking into this.... or if the new firmware as resolved this issue.

Options
2020-03-23 13:42:01

@DomTheRag 

I am stuck on v1.3 as I use the M9 models. These have not seen an update since August 2019. Quite a poor show to be honest.

Not aware that there are options in v1.4 to disable the Smart DHCP feature.

Options
2020-03-23 14:04:23

@phillip_mcmahon 

Well i just upgraded to firmware 1.4.4 on all of my 3 Deco 5

Let's cross our fingers and hope thay this issue is resolved with this new firware.

I can't wait that after Tp-link, since they are not answering us....

Keep you posted if i run new issues.

Thanks

Options
2020-04-02 16:17:54

From what I understand the deco dhcp takeover only occurs with certain routers. Can anyone confirm a router that can handle this perfectly? I'm using the m5 in ap mode with isp router as dhcp server and the dhcp conflict is a mess. I don't want to ditch the m5 as it works quite well besides the small annoyance so I'm thinking of replacing the isp router with a more decent one. I'm looking at the draytek 2925 but not sure if it can handle the dhcp conflict

Options
2020-04-02 16:28:12

@Antidote 

Not that I have heard of.

The Deco "smartly" detects when there is no DHCP server running and then goes nuts with its own. Don't believe this is router specific.

I have a dedicated DHCP server, and on occasion when I am doing network maintenance the Deco makes the deluded conclusion that it must come to the rescue and start dishing out IP addresses in a totally non-compatible address space. God knows who thought this would work.

I'd kind of understand if we could at least customise this smart feature to dish out sensible, non-breaking, IP ranges. We don't even get that luxury.

The whole feature should be scrapped. I am yet to hear a TP-Link employee explain how it would even work correctly.

Options
Related Articles