Issue viewing Kasa cams on Google Home Hub/Nest Hub

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-07-16 10:47:36 - last edited 2020-09-22 01:52:00

Hi there. I have four Kasa cams operating perfectly in and outside my home (2x KC100, 1x KC110 and 1x KC200). My reason for buying the Kasa cams was (i) good experience with the Kasa smart switches and (ii) their integration with Google Assistant and, most importantly, the ability to view live camera streams on my various Google Home Hubs (now rebranded as the Google Nest hub).

The good news is that it works - using a simple voice command 'show [name of kasa camera]', I'm able to bring up live streams from all four cameras (NB. I should note that you're only able to view one stream at a time, not the four simultaneously with a split screen. I knew this).

The one minor irritation, and reason for this post, is that the stream stops after several minutes, shows a picture of a Google chromecast and then goes back to the Google home hub screen. This happens with all four cameras. I would (MUCH) prefer it to keep displaying the live steam until I tell it to stop. 

Has anyone else experienced this? Does anyone know a workaround?

Many thanks.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Issue viewing Kasa cams on Google Home Hub/Nest Hub-Solution
2020-09-22 01:51:23 - last edited 2020-09-22 01:52:00

@JonnyM 

Good day.

Thank you very much for your time and patience.

And sorry for the delay.

If the phone is connected to a different Wi-Fi network when you watch the live stream of the Kasa camera, which means you are remotely viewing the camera, you can watch the live stream for as long as 10 minutes, then you will be prompted to continue. Click Continue to continue watching.

For more details, please refer to this link:

https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/2630/

Thank you very much.

Recommended Solution
Options
30 Reply
Re:Issue viewing Kasa cams on Google Home Hub/Nest Hub
2019-07-17 10:44:44

@JonnyM 

For the camera, it is designed to off screen in 10 minutes, and there should be a notification on the camera.

While to view the video constantly, as a workaround you can touch the screen to re-activate it.

Good day. 

Options
Re:Re:Issue viewing Kasa cams on Google Home Hub/Nest Hub
2019-07-18 06:53:53 - last edited 2019-07-18 06:56:07

Kevin_Z wrote

@JonnyM 

For the camera, it is designed to off screen in 10 minutes, and there should be a notification on the camera.

While to view the video constantly, as a workaround you can touch the screen to re-activate it.

Good day. 

@JonnyM 

is there any way to stop this, as I have the Lenovo Smart Display, and when I

stream it only last 5mins and times out and goes back to the Google home screen.

Other users have confirmed that this is a TP-Link issue as other cameras do not time out

Options
Re:Re:Re:Issue viewing Kasa cams on Google Home Hub/Nest Hub
2019-07-18 08:36:14 - last edited 2019-07-18 08:40:47

Thanks Kevin_Z and Ash786i for the replies.

I haven't timed it but I agree with Ash: five rather than ten minutes for display of a Kasa cameras live stream sounds much closer to the mark.

+1 for a fix from me too.

Ash, where are you reading that other cameras are not timing out? 

@JonnyM 

Good day. 

@Kevin_Z 

Two clarifications please:

Firstly, 'there should be a notification on the camera'. Not sure what this means? I'm not seeing any notification.

Secondly, 'While to view the video constantly, as a workaround you can touch the screen to re-activate it.' Nope, this doesn't work!

Thanks,

JonnyM

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Issue viewing Kasa cams on Google Home Hub/Nest Hub
2019-07-18 11:59:20 - last edited 2019-07-18 11:59:42

JonnyM wrote

Thanks Kevin_Z and Ash786i for the replies.

I haven't timed it but I agree with Ash: five rather than ten minutes for display of a Kasa cameras live stream sounds much closer to the mark.

+1 for a fix from me too.

Ash, where are you reading that other cameras are not timing out? 

@JonnyM 

Good day. 

@Kevin_Z 

Two clarifications please:

Firstly, 'there should be a notification on the camera'. Not sure what this means? I'm not seeing any notification.

Secondly, 'While to view the video constantly, as a workaround you can touch the screen to re-activate it.' Nope, this doesn't work!

Thanks,

JonnyM

@JonnyM 

Asked Lenovo forum and users have confirmed not an issue with others, see link below and quote

Re: when streaming camera it time out, how can i stop this?

‎07-17-2019 01:24 AM

Hi @ash786i,

Might be a limitation within the Kasa camera. I do not own one so unable to test but I do have a Xiaomi camera and it streams fine uninterrupted.

I would suggest reaching out to Kasa, I will also double check with Google and let you know once I have a reply.

Miguel 
Community Service Readiness, Spanish, Smart Device & Gaming Community Leader

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-Smart-Display-Lenovo/when-streaming-camera-it-time-out-how-can-i-stop-this/td-p/4475442 

Options
Re:Issue viewing Kasa cams on Google Home Hub/Nest Hub
2019-07-26 13:17:01

Can someone TP-Link / KASA confirm this is being looked into as I am going to have to return my cameras back as no point if it times out after 9 mins and 53 seconds when streaming on my Lenovo Smart Display?

Options
2019-07-27 14:25:54

Agreed Ash. I will also return if no resolution, or prospect of one, is forthcoming. The issue is clearly with the Kasa cameras rather than the Google Home/Nest Hub. Users of other compatible cameras report no such issue (or, at least, a timeout measured in hours rather than minutes). This limitation is a deal-breaker for me, and I've been unable to recommend the, otherwise excellent, product to friends as a result.

Options
2019-09-22 23:57:36

@JonnyM any news on this yet. Mine does the same. I was going to buy another one but no point if it times out. 

Options
2019-09-26 08:56:33
Hi. Nope - still time outs. Returned them and went with (far more expensive) Google Nest cams instead. Very happy with them but, wow, are Tp-Link shooting themselves in the foot. They have a good product at a very decent price but the five minute time-out was a dealbreaker for me. Happy to share more thoughts on both the Kasa and Nest cams if anyone's interested.
Options
2019-09-26 10:16:05

@JonnyM Thank you. It’s very strange. I’ll look for a different camera. Will keep this one for now. I use it as a baby monitor but it’s stupid with the timeout! Cheers. 

Options
2019-09-26 10:42:56
I've got two Nestcam indoor cams working as baby monitors. Have to say, it works great with the Google Nest Hubs. And the Nest app is very slick too. Happy.
Options

Information

Helpful: 3

Views: 12452

Replies: 30