Disable DHCP

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Disable DHCP

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Disable DHCP
Disable DHCP
2019-07-30 14:42:20 - last edited 2021-11-26 06:53:01
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.3.1

I am using a Pi-Hole that I want to use as dhcp server.

- How can I disable M5 dhcp? It would be ridiculous if there is no on-off toggle (or hopefully workaround?)

- How can I set the local domain name used for dhcp?

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Disable DHCP-Solution
2021-06-03 05:54:18 - last edited 2021-11-26 06:52:41

@troed 

Thank you very much for the notice.

There are two requests for DHCP server actually, one on the access point mode which is in majority, the other on the wireless router mode;

When on the access point mode, Deco used a smart DHCP server which means when it detected there was another DHCP server in the network, it would disable its DHCP server otherwise its DHCP server would be enabled;

For example, when the main router restarted after the Deco or main router went down, the smart DHCP server would take effect;

And we will also add a DHCP on/off switch on the access to get rid of the unusual situation that the smart DHCP server is always on even though the main router came back;

On the wireless router mode, the DHCP server is enabled all the time, and currently, there Is still no plan to allow users to manually turn off the DHCP server;

I will keep attention to the similar feedback and report to the senior engineers for further optimization;

At the same time, it is also suggested that you could send APP feedback directly via Deco APP;

Hi, All.

Latest Update:

[Solution]Smart DHCP on/off switch under access point mode

Recommended Solution
Options
12 Reply
Re:Disable DHCP
2019-07-31 01:28:46

@Jeehaa 

There is no option to turn off DHCP server in router mode;

You can change the operation mode to Access point and there will be no DHCP server option.

Otherwise, you can setup a smaller DHCP IP range on the Deco itself as a workaround. 

Options
Re:Re:Disable DHCP
2019-07-31 10:26:48
Unfortunately the deco currently does not accept a range with less than 20 IP addresses so the workaround will not really work. Is it possible to get SSH access to the deco?
Options
Re:Re:Re:Disable DHCP
2019-08-01 01:54:27

@Jeehaa 

Take the security issue  into consideration, we have already blocked the related SSH tunnels and commands, which makes this SSH available only to the Deco APP.  Other SSH clients cannot control the router via commands. 

Wish your kindly understanding. 

Options
2020-01-16 14:02:00 - last edited 2020-01-16 14:02:53

@Kevin_Z this is not a reasonable answer. SSH is exactly used for secure connections! I don't understand why TP link have locked this down. No option to choose to disable DHCP in router mode and AP mode is pretty much useless (no VLAN config, no guest isolation). So if someone ones to isolate clients they are forced to use router mode but can't disable NAT/DHCP?! 

What if they already have a router dealing with DHCP this makes absolutely no sense for a network device also having NAT to could mean that there is a double NAT (router) and NAT (Deco). Can you provide an indication of when the features requested will be added?

I am considering returning my Deco M4 because of misleading information on VLAN, no control over NAT, DHCP.  I appreciate TP-Link are trying to make things more consumer friendly but after 10yrs if buying TPLink products the Deco M4 is mightily disappointing in terms of overall config and control.

Options
2020-01-19 14:37:24
Yeah I would also appreciate option to turn off DHCP in router mode on my Deco M4. I must have it in AP mode instead and I lost additional functionality (parental control) because of tis.
Options
2021-02-10 22:09:53

18 Months on and nothing seems to have changed!!

Surely the option to turn off DHCP can't be that difficult...

Either that, or impliment a proper DHCP Server that allows you to specify DHCP Scope options, such as (15) DNS Domain Name, (121) Stateless Static Routes, (3) Router, (79) PXE Boot helper... to name but a few..

And the option to turn off NAT so we can route properly

But just being able to turn off this absolutely useless Mikey Mouse DHCP will enable us do things properly.... Please

I would not have purchased TP-Link Deco in the first place if I had known how restrictive it is..

Options
2021-05-14 14:12:40

I can't believe you don't consider the option to turn off the dhcp, this is blocking the network, I can't recommend or buy this solution again.

what is worst is that you are not responding and dont giving a solution.

Options
2021-05-15 14:20:13 - last edited 2021-05-15 14:24:48

@Jeehaa 

I've just had 2 M4 units arrive with expectations to run them in router mode and disable the DHCP!

Can't believe there is no option to disable it either. I have my main dhcp server/hub with 30+ static IP addresses for smart devices.

This M4 unit appears to create a subnet in router mode (makes sense as you can't have 2 dhcp servers on the same net), so how can it work with my other devices with static IP's on the main 192.168.1.x net?

The 5ghz is superb but 2.4ghz worse than my cheap tplink routers like the TLWR941 and Archer C80. So I've left these on just for the 2.4ghz!!!

Big disappointment for such a modern unit.

Got the 2 M4 units in AP mode only due to all my static IPs on my main Asus router/hub.

I've also got a 20 dollar tplink router flashed with dd-wrt and has a 1000 more options - dhcp/lan/wan etc etc. If you can get opensource software with a ton more options you'd think paying big bucks for a brand like this the options would be available!

Options
2021-05-17 03:09:59
Awesome - Do you know when this will be released? Thanks
Options
2021-06-02 11:26:34

@TP-Link I've seen you comment in two different threads that an on/off switch for AP mode will come in v1.6.0. However, that's not what those threads are asking for. The need is for being able to switch off the built in DHCP server _in Router mode_. DHCP is already off in AP mode.

Is this a simple misunderstanding? I have a five access point M9 network and will need to switch out everything if DHCP on/off in Router mode won't come soon.

/Troed

Options

Information

Helpful: 7

Views: 22175

Replies: 12

Related Articles