Deco M5 in AP mode sometimes act as a DHCP server

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Deco M5 in AP mode sometimes act as a DHCP server

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
62 Reply
Re:Deco M5 in AP mode sometimes act as a DHCP server
2021-07-05 03:47:26 - last edited 2021-07-05 18:29:08

When can we get the update that fixes this problem?  Please answer, because I'm ready to throw the units out and leave a negative review on Amazon.

Here's exactly how the problem manifests itself on my network.

1. My fiber modem goes down and I lose my internet connection.

2. Deco M5 in AP mode stupidly assumes that it should be DHCP server.

3. Deco M5 stupidly tells all network devices that it's IP address is the network gateway address.

4. My fiber modem comes back up along with my internet connection.

5. Every device on my network is unable to reach the internet, as they think the Deco M5 is the gateway.

6. To completely restore functionality, I must unplug Deco M5, reboot fiber modem and router and plug in Deco M5.

7. This issue does not sort itself out when the fiber modem and router come back up.  Line 6 must be performed even 24 hours after the fiber came back up.

I depend on my LAN for two VOIP phone lines and security.  I need for my network to recover from this issue by itself.

This problem is so exquisitely stupid and so exquisitely easy to fix.  

PLEASE FIX IT NOW.

IF YOU DON'T WANT TO ADD A SWITCH TO THE MOBILE APP, THEN PLEASE RELEASE AN OPTIONAL FIRMWARE VERSION THAT LEAVES DHCP MODE OFF PERMANENTLY IN AP MODE.  YOU COULD DO THAT WITH *ONE* LINE OF CODE.

Options
2021-07-06 03:47:44 - last edited 2021-07-06 06:14:48

@GrumpyOldGeek 

Hi, we would add a DHCP on/off switch under access point mode for Deco M5 on the later firmware 1.6.x;         

At the same time, we wish to get more details about this issue from the real network scenarios, and could you please help me check the following information:

1. Who is your internet service provider and what is the model number of your main ISP router?

2. Can I have a picture of your network diagram such as:

Options
2021-07-06 04:09:40 - last edited 2021-07-06 05:03:49

@TP-Link 

You don't need my network configuration to add the DHCP switch.  Why are you asking for it?  

The whole concept of "Smart DHCP " is fundamentally wrong.  There's no IETF standard for a "Smart DHCP", and your ad-hock implementation of a DHCP that decides for itself when it will activate and deactivate flat out breaks local area networks.  Anyone with a bare minimum knowledge of TCP/IP and network administration understands that one of the most frustrating network issues is a rogue DHCP server.  Just look at how many forum users have had issues with this.

What I need from you is a date that this problem will be resolved.  And by resolved, I mean a DHCP server that either stays off all the time or only activates when I tell it to activate.  I don't know how you can keep promising this bug fix for years, yet we get no indications that it is being worked on.  Do you just lie to us, hoping that we will get tired and stop complaining?  

Personally, if I do not see an informational update in the next few days, and a fix in the next 30 days, I will write a letter directly to the TP-Link CEO describing the problem and the lack of responsiveness, and I will copy all of the forum posts from dissatisfied users along with TP-Link's unsatisfactory replies.   If that fails to get a response, I will send a copy of the letter to the TP-Link Board of Directors.  I am not bluffing.

Options
2021-07-06 13:12:02

GrumpyOldGeek wrote

@TP-Link 

You don't need my network configuration to add the DHCP switch.  Why are you asking for it?  

@GrumpyOldGeek 

They ask you to provide the model number of your main ISP router so that they can update their internal Support KB with that info. For other escalations with same router model they'll know what to suggest to customer and can skip on unnecessary troubleshooting.

You don't have to share your router brand and model name, this is just a courtesy for other Deco users who may be in the same situation you are and escalated to TP-Link support.

Options
2021-07-07 00:21:35

@TP-Link how long until it comes out?

Mine is connected to a NanoPi R2S router (running OpenWRT). Previously it was connected to a Motorola cable modem (not sure on exact model).

I have 1 deco connected to a switch, the other 2 wireless off the first one.

Options
2021-07-07 10:09:43

@TP-Link I read (source: https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/231330?page=3) that 1.6 should be released at the end of Q2. We are in Q3 now, what is the status of 1.6?

Options
2021-07-07 11:24:09
It will not be released. TP-Link is still not convinced that they are wrong. My guess is they don't have an alternative to connect their products when wifi goes wrong or when there is no other DHCP-server in the network, so they won't ever tell us their real reason. TP-Link is doing everything to mask this error, like asking stuff around the products having nothing to do with the problem.
Options
2021-08-20 20:14:36

Can I just add that in my 30 years of IT has anyone thought that having a random DHCP server take over was good idea.

I needed for various reasons to change to AP mode on my M4Rs  they managed to keep some DHCP settings even after a factory reset

They are running the latest firmware and so there should be an option to never use any internal DHCP.

It has taken me 2 days to wonder why the APs were pushing out an incorrect gateway address.

last TP link products I'll be buying

Options
2021-08-21 01:13:01 - last edited 2021-08-21 01:25:29

Kelticsword wrote

It has taken me 2 days to wonder why the APs were pushing out an incorrect gateway address.

@Kelticsword 

TP-Link Deco models make use of a feature called ” Smart DHCP “, this function consists of verifying if there is a DHCP server in the local network, if for some reason this process fails, or takes a while more than normal, then, and automatically, the TP-Link Deco decide to activate its own DHCP server.

DHCP server that you have set on your network needs your attention. Deco running in AP mode exposes the problem your network has, which is unreliable DHCP server.

I hope you would agree than any well built network, among other things, must have DHCP server that is always up and responds quickly to DHCP queries.

Also, DHCP lease provided by Deco in AP mode is very short, less than 5 minutes. When your DHCP server comes back, it should take less than 5 minutes for your network to recover. If it does not, there is something else going on that may need your attention, too.

I am not trying to justify TP-Link decisions, but as long as you have something telling you there are issues with your network, you could use that as an opportunity to fix them

Options
2021-08-22 23:45:43 - last edited 2021-08-22 23:46:47

I resolved all my stupid "Smart" DHCP issues by getting rid of the system and switching to a different system. Couldn't be happier.

Options